Jeff5050

Vigil 2 logging higher vertical speeds

My last two sit fly jumps Ive been checking my Vigil for my vertical speeds. Its been a while since Ive checked it, but I remember them reading between 150-170 MPH range. The first jump it read today was 232 MPH with about a 3-4 stand and the rest in a neutral sit. The second jump read 222 MPH. My N3 audible says nothing faster than 163 on my last one. Has anyone else run into these kind of reading before? If there reading that much out should I be concerned that diving under canopy could possibly fire my reserve?

chuckakers

***...checking my Vigil...

I didn't know a Vigil could give jump data.

It logged a 3s freefall on my last wingsuit jump from 12,200'. Not very useful.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

******...checking my Vigil...

It logged a 3s freefall on my last wingsuit jump from 12,200'. Not very useful.why would you do a clear and pull at altitude in a wingsuit :o ?? :D:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

*********...checking my Vigil...

It logged a 3s freefall on my last wingsuit jump from 12,200'. Not very useful.why would you do a clear and pull at altitude in a wingsuit :o ?? :D:D

Solo XRW?

Yes, either when you turn it on at the start of the day when you see the info screen when its cycling through, press it once and it gives you freefall time and vertical speed of your last jump. Or when it's on, you can just press it once and it will give you the same data for your last jump. If the vigil uses these vertical speed numbers that were obviously 60-70mph higher than they should be to calculate decent rate while under canopy I thought maybe that could cause a two out.

Jeff5050

Yes, either when you turn it on at the start of the day when you see the info screen when its cycling through, press it once and it gives you freefall time and vertical speed of your last jump. Or when it's on, you can just press it once and it will give you the same data for your last jump. If the vigil uses these vertical speed numbers that were obviously 60-70mph higher than they should be to calculate decent rate while under canopy I thought maybe that could cause a two out.

Well go figure. I've been jumping a Vigil for years and didn't know that. Guess I should have read the manual beyond the on/off procedures!

Never too old and crusty to learn! Thanks for the info.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

For anyone who was interested in this post. I sent this question to Vigil, and this was there response.

"The vigil is placed in the back and the pressure measurements used to determine the altitude and speed are influenced by the body position. (see manual page 10 & 11). This physics and valid for every AAD. Attached you will find an example of a graph where you can see that the speed can change a lot (virtual speed peaks)when the jumper is turning during freefall.

This is all normal and this can’t happened under canopy."

- The GREEN line is the altitude in meters or feet.

- The GREEN horizontal line is the preset activation altitude linked to the chosen mode.
- The RED line is the speed used by Vigil in km/h, mph, m/s or ft/s.

- The RED horizontal line is the preset activation speed linked to the chosen mode.
- The YELLOW line is the filtered speed, just to give the average falling speed during the freefall as info.
- The RED dot: detection of the freefall (min. 5/8 sec above activation speed).
- The YELLOW dot: detection end of the freefall (min. 5/8 sec below activation speed).
- The BLUE dot: activation of the Vigil.

- The Vigil starts to record graphically in memory 7 sec before start of freefall and stops 12 sec after end of freefall. (For the Vigil 2+ it is 24 sec instead of 12 sec).

Jeff5050

My last two sit fly jumps Ive been checking my Vigil for my vertical speeds. Its been a while since Ive checked it, but I remember them reading between 150-170 MPH range. The first jump it read today was 232 MPH with about a 3-4 stand and the rest in a neutral sit. The second jump read 222 MPH. My N3 audible says nothing faster than 163 on my last one. Has anyone else run into these kind of reading before? If there reading that much out should I be concerned that diving under canopy could possibly fire my reserve?

Check if your vigil is in km/hr.