FreeFlyCowboy

Removing slickness from new canopy?

Hey everyone I recently got a brand new canopy (sabre2 190) and am having quite a time trying to pack it. I know it will eventually get broken in as I continue to jump it but my question is, does the slickness go away due it opening up and being used while I'm under canopy? Or does it get less slick from being repeatedly packed? If it is just from being packed then I figure I could just pack it for a couple hours a day until it becomes less slick (don't have much to do in my off time and can only jump on the weekends). Or I just get better at packing.

I tried looking for an answer in the forums but couldn't find much other than psycho pack it and jump it a lot. I've heard someone say spray some water on it and wipe it off or get some sand on it but I'm not sure if that's reliable advice or not.

Thanks
"To the moon"

The ''slickness'' directly correlates with the permeability and this, with other variables give the canopy its characteristics. I would just learn how to pack it. It will be easier to correct your packing technique and more time efficient rather than looking for a way too destroy/degrade the fabric. Which is essentially what you are trying to expedite. Best of luck.

repeatedly jerk it through the air at about 120 mph with sharp jolts of a heavy load. It's also beneficial to suspend the heavy load beneath the inflated canopy for a little while afterward. Repeat that about 50 times and you will find the canopy less slippery.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Packing a newer, slick parachute requires refined packing technique, and really maintaining control of the canopy, namely from when you lay it on the ground after rolling the tail until it's in the bag. What I always tell people who are struggling to pack a newer, slick canopy is to NOT LET GO OF IT. Make sure you have the canopy tail/grommets anchored with your knee (5:00 in the video). From the time you start trying to get the air out of it, always keep your hand/arm on it to keep control of it (5:45 in the video). I use the same "get the air out of the canopy" technique as the PD packing video (this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqNsFPbKIw8), but I only do one S-fold (fluffy stuff end), put it in the bag, then place the other S-fold (label end) directly into the bag, always keeping an arm/hand/knee on the pack job, especially when I'm putting the d-bag around the S-fold, as well as when I place the other S-fold in the bag. Once it's in the d-bag, I quickly and smoothly roll the d-bag while keeping the lines taut onto the lid of the d-bag. This allows me to PULL the d-bag around the canopy instead of trying to push all the fabric in. Once I have one rubber band locking stow done, I can fix up the pack job to look better, if needed.

In other words, ask for some packing tips at the dropzone. Everyone packs a little differently, and you'll find what works for you.