wildernessmedic

First jump suit?

Finally have helmet goggles and altimeter. Looking at buying my first jump suit next month.

Only looking to max $300. Looking at these three. Probably leaning towards the first.

https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/pittz-freefly-evolution-suit-3472

http://www.flitesuit.com/originalflitesuit.html

http://www.flitesuit.com/bodysuit.html

The flite suits are local enough to go in/ pick up.

Any thoughts or suggestions on picking one? Any other good ones in that price range recommended? I'm a fan of black and want to avoid obnoxious colors

my advice would be to wait and use your dz suits for awhile if possible. for one you will still be doing belly to finish your a license and should do some after your a license to be safe on your belly. and you may find 4 way to be fun and decide to stick with belly even longer. if you cant use the dz suits a cheap flite suite would probably work but also have to consider if your instructors want you to have grips while still a student

Fashion queen moment. I hate the dz jumpsuit. And I'm trying to get away from having to borrow/tie up gear.

Most of my jumps are alone. Haven't done a coach yet. When I do I could always throw on one with grips right?

Also kicking around buying a used rig... Yes at only 13 jumps. I know it sounds silly but the quicker I buy it the more I save in the long run. $20 saved a jump it I got a 2k one it would pay for itself in 100 jumps.

its easy to make decisions you will regret when it comes to buying gear early in your skydiving career, I know from first hand experience so just don't make any impulse buys.

but I bought a used rig before a jumpsuit for 1600 and it was the best decision I made

I wont give any advice on what brands you should get because I am a newb as well just make sure whatever you spend hundreds and with your rig thousands of dollars on wont just sit in your closet

tred

its easy to make decisions you will regret when it comes to buying gear early in your skydiving career, I know from first hand experience so just don't make any impulse buys.

but I bought a used rig before a jumpsuit for 1600 and it was the best decision I made

I wont give any advice on what brands you should get because I am a newb as well just make sure whatever you spend hundreds and with your rig thousands of dollars on wont just sit in your closet

Appreciate the advice. Thought a lot about it. Still undecided and will probably create a separate thread for that in a few months when he times right.

wildernessmedic

Most of my jumps are alone.

This will change. Solo jumps are like the coolest thing for you right now, but trust me: they get old FAST. And when they do, you'll regret not having a suit that is proper for the group discipline of choice, either a usable RW suit (i.e. booties and proper grips) or a decent FF suit.
I've seen it over and over again, people buying a "student" suit at 10 jumps because DZ jumpsuits are ugly or smell bad, only to ROYALLY HATE their jumpsuits 50 jumps later when they actually realize what they need.

My 2 cents?
Suck it up until you can get a jumpsuit you can actually use to do things with it. Buying a jumpsuit with that mind approach, fashion queen snob, don't wanna use the goofy DZ jumpsuit for 20 more jumps, is a great way to waste money that right now you really need to get you started, IMHO.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Used jumpsuits and used gear are your friends. They're not perfect, but they're way cheaper than new, and allow you to learn what one variety of each is like. That gives you a basis for comparison for the next time you buy. You can search for a basic RW suit on dz.com, or the gear FB page, and if it's reasonably close it'll be way better than the DZ suits.

But then I'm still jumping used gear I bought about 12 years ago. Which means I've had way more money for jumps. I jumped the used jumpsuit I got for about two years, too. It was a little long; I sewed the legs shorter around the knees (to avoid messing with the booties). I sent it to the factory to put grippers on. And it seems to have been adequate; I participated in a couple of state and world records/attempts.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Used jumpsuits and used gear are your friends. They're not perfect, but they're way cheaper than new, and allow you to learn what one variety of each is like. That gives you a basis for comparison for the next time you buy. You can search for a basic RW suit on dz.com, or the gear FB page, and if it's reasonably close it'll be way better than the DZ suits.

This - as long as you're not an outlier size-wise, finding used is a great idea!

Since the OP notes their location as Cloverdale, I'd recommend taking a look at what's in stock at Action Air in Davis. They show some used suits available on their website - might be worth a trip over to try some on in person.
http://actionair.com/store.html#usedjumpsuits
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

wildernessmedic

******Ok thanks. I'll just suck it up and keep using the ugly smelly gross one with a torn out ass.

Why not offer to take it home and run it thru the washer?

Not sure it would survive a wash cycle lol.

Might see if I can use the next size up.

Lots of DZs really appreciate a little bit of volunteer help and there from their jumpers. Volunteering to wash a few of their jumpsuits would not only increase the supply of cleani(ish) jumpsuits, it's an excellent suck-up to the DZO, especially for a student. A win-win for everybody. There are more ways to spread good will at a DZ besides just bringing beer.

I'm also looking into buying my first jump suit and have some questions. I have a little over 100 jumps and most of those have been done without a jumpsuit, mainly because I'm tall and skinny and want to reduce as much drag as possible. I'm been doing mostly belly jumps and tracking so far, but I'm planning to start getting into freeflying soon. I guess my questions are mainly related to whether or not I even need a jumpsuit (other than for safety reasons when landing):

- I've noticed that a lot of freeflyers don't even wear jumpsuits. How beneficial is it for a beginner freeflyer to use one?

- I'd like to maximize my fall rate when doing the occasional belly jump but don't plan on doing belly often enough to warrant buying a RW suit. Would a tight-fitting FF suit allow me to fall faster than not wearing a suit at all?

So I'm glad I was advised not to buy one yet even though I'd like my own. Been looking at the different styles and jumping different ones.

Tried a swoop(?) suit. The webbing in the armpits was cool for tacking.

Jumped a (RW?) suit with booties today. Hated it. Felt like my feet were stuck. Not sure if it was the cause but I could not get stable. I tracked off twice and felt way more stable tracking than arching. Wasn't sure if you leave them on to land but I felt restricted so I popped them off before landing. Definitely not a fan of those...