CloudyHead

New Spectre 210 is too slippery to pack!

Using a traditional pro pack method, I cannot seem to get my canopy into the d-bag. It slips and squirts all over the place until I pass out on the floor. I am left feeling violated and still afraid of what it might do to me next.

I am many hours from the nearest DZ, so I am practicing at home without the convenience of a rigger on site. I have heard of a method in which you can actually start off by folding it into the d-bag so you don't need to control it all at once. Is anyone familiar with this technique, and if so can you explain it? (cute little pictures would help too). Also is there a disadvantage to doing it this way? I assume there must be some kind disadvantage, otherwise everyone would be doing it the easier way, right?

<3

Try watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiAegc8EOw

It's a Sabre2 260. I've referenced PD's packing videos all the time. I pack my Velo the way Jess showed in her video. Worked thus far (knock on wood).

That said, take a look at this video as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i16HryVyRaI

It was done on Stiletto 150 and shows that people have packed canopies extremely strangely and they've opened.

No such thing as too slippery, just poor technique :P

But personally I have had great success packing slippery (my brand new magellan for example) using the wolmari pack -method. Also remember to never show fear to your canopy if you wish to pack it :P

hokierower

Try watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiAegc8EOw

It's a Sabre2 260. I've referenced PD's packing videos all the time. I pack my Velo the way Jess showed in her video. Worked thus far (knock on wood).

That said, take a look at this video as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i16HryVyRaI

It was done on Stiletto 150 and shows that people have packed canopies extremely strangely and they've opened.

thank you for the link, that was very helpful :)

Best trick would be :
Don't practice at home alone. Either have someone come over and help you, or wait till you get to the DZ.
you will save time, energy and frustration, and you won't be learning wrong.
And enjoy your beer :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

JWest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGyvLfdTH1k

Psycho Pack: Great packing method with awesome openings.

Some canopies have the bridle attachment tight to the top of the canopy. Adding a bridle extension helps to get the bridle out and around the rolled canopy so it can be put in the d-bag without un-cocking the pilot chute.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

piisfish

Best trick would be :
Don't practice at home alone. Either have someone come over and help you, or wait till you get to the DZ.
you will save time, energy and frustration, and you won't be learning wrong.
And enjoy your beer :)

I disagree, I think much of learning is actually extertion and frustation and learning to use your knees, your face, elbows, feet so you're basically an octopus. In my packing classes I always say that the best way to a good pack job done quickly is several hundred pack jobs. It's all about proficiency. Of course at home you may be doing a shit job but then take it to the DZ and someone can point out improvements or errors.

If you think about it, many people only have as many packs as they do jumps. No kidding their packing is crap and they take forever.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

CloudyHead

***try this - it might help http://sidsrigging.com/articles/greed.htm

That's the technique i was originally looking for. I'll try that next!

One thing about this technique is that you need to pay extra attention to keeping pressure on the triangle where the slider is. In photo 4 you'll see that the packer has already lost some control and the lines have spread apart. On a big slick canopy like yours that will mean that the slider is no longer tight against the canopy and you'll get a hard opening.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

For the last decade, I have been doing a variation on Sid's "Reverse S-Fold" method.
Knees are the key.
Once I have they canopy narrowed to about the same width as the d-bag, I kneel on it 1/3 of the way up and continue to maintain knee pressure while bagging the canopy.
I fold the canopy in half and loosely fold the top 1/4 back up towards the bridle. I slide the lip of the d-bag under my knees and use my knees to clamp the d-bag to the canopy, to the floor while I shove the centre fold deep up into the d-bag until it fills the top corners of the d-bag.
While continuing to clamp with my knees, I stuff the top quarter of the canopy into the d-bag and use fingers to confirm that the bridle is clear.
Maintaining hand pressure, I tilt the d-bag like Sid and stuff the slider/bottom 1/4 of the canopy into the middle of the d-bag.
I maintain pressure (push-up/plank pose) while I wrap the lip over the d-bag and close the first rubber band. While stowing lines in the first rubber band, I use knees to prevent the d-bag from wandering.
Knees are the key the preventing the canopy from wandering away.

Get a riggers input on the reasons to do or don't do different packing techniques so you are making an informed decision. A sloppy attempt learned from a video (because you're new and your canopy is brand-new-slippery) can give you bad habits and potentially cause canopy damage or malfunctions.

Supervised practice should be required when learning.
Paying (extra!!) for the first 5 pack jobs is ideal.
Paying (still extra for that slippery thing) for the first 30 pack jobs will save you a lot of frustration.
Buying a carpet remnant to lay on your canopy (soft side to canopy) to help squeeze the air out will help. Jumping it as much as possible, ideally landing where dirt can help break it in will help more.

Iago

Sprinkle some talc on it.

If you want an abrasive material damaging your canopy do this.

I wasn't serious.

Baby smooth talc wouldn't help with a slick canopy. It's fun to watch someone slipping around the floor.

You guys are no fun.

Sorry for the lack of fun. People turn to this forum for advise. That may end up trying any idea they read here.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.