matt3sa

What's next after the Stiletto?

We have a guy at our DZ who is looking for something a bit different and possibly more high performance than a Stiletto. He's loading a 150 at about 1.4 to 1.6. I personally loved my time on my Cobalt 135 so I encouraged him to try a Cobalt 150 that another local jumper owns. As I expected, he fell in love. The problem is that Atair is out of business. The chances of finding a decent used Cobalt are pretty slim. I'm having a difficult time giving him advice on other products that might give him a little more kick. This guy will never be a Katana or Xbrace person. What's out there that you folks would compare to a Cobalt? My personal opinion is that the cobalt absolutely destroys xfires in every way and I honestly can't think of anything in PD's lineup that might be a bit more exciting for him without stepping into the Katana world. Thoughts?

Did he try a Stiletto 135 as well?

I don't have a huge number Crossfire2 jumps but I think they're a lovely, lovely canopy while not being the dive monster that the Katana is.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

My personal opinion is that the cobalt absolutely destroys xfires in every way and I honestly can't think of anything in PD's lineup that might be a bit more exciting for him without stepping into the Katana world. Thoughts?

Cobalt is not in the same category with Crossfire2. Cobalt is an open cell elleptical, Crossfire2 is a semi closed cell elliptical. CompetitionCobalt is somewhat comparable to Crossfire2.

I did own a CompetitionCobalt, I do have a Cobalt and jumping Crossfire2 these days.

The Cobalt, once opened, was one of the nicest canopies I've jumped.
I put 5 jumps on a Cobalt 170. But... no wonder they went out of business. Had one "normal" a bit slow, opening. Two so-called openings- (seemed I went thousands and thousands of feet vertical without the outer cells opening. Yes I'm exaggerating), although I did have had my hands on the handles on one of them; and two 'out and out' hard slammers. The Cobalt I jumped just wouldn't open normally. Streamer or slammer.

I'm a Stilletto guy and compare the two canopies as about the same once open. I might even prefer the Cobalt. But not the openings.
Has anyone tried to add crossports into a Cobalt to see if it would open like a normal canopy?

3mpire

Has anyone tried to add crossports into a Cobalt to see if it would open like a normal canopy?

The pope himself couldn't get the demon out of a cobalt

Just open in a track and use a 24 inch pilot chute.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

dpreguy

The Cobalt, once opened, was one of the nicest canopies I've jumped.
I put 5 jumps on a Cobalt 170. But... no wonder they went out of business. Had one "normal" a bit slow, opening. Two so-called openings- (seemed I went thousands and thousands of feet vertical without the outer cells opening. Yes I'm exaggerating), although I did have had my hands on the handles on one of them; and two 'out and out' hard slammers. The Cobalt I jumped just wouldn't open normally. Streamer or slammer.

I'm a Stilletto guy and compare the two canopies as about the same once open. I might even prefer the Cobalt. But not the openings.

I'm really surprised you compare the Stiletto so closely to the Cobalt. I've been on small Comp Velo's for a while but I spent a lot of time on a Cobalt 135 when I was learning. I'm waiting for a Valkyrie so I've been jumping bigger canopies for the last couple weekends. I've done the Sabre2 150, Stiletto 150 and Cobalt 150. I have to say man, the Cobalt is pretty much what I remember and not much like a stiletto. The front and rear riser pressure is so light and I feel like it dives better. The openings are hit or miss. I remember some wierd ones on my 135. The 150 I jumped this weekend opened GREAT. It does have a wierd thing built in where the left side sometimes folds under but it comes out of it with a deep flare.

monkycndo

Take a look at the Skylark Odyssey.

Actually I had forgotten about the Odyssey. I demoed one a while back and really liked it. Very Crossfire-y but with its own character for sure.

Definitely add it to the list of things to try.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I'll second (third?) the Skylark Odyssey.

I've jumped this in a 100, 105 and 120 sizes and love it. So far it is my favourite canopy that I've jumped. I demoed the Odyssey 120, ordered a 105 almost straight away, sold my xfire2, and don't regret it for a second.

And like has been said about the price. Can't beat it. Not only do I think it is better than an xfire2 (for my personal tastes), it's not that far off half the price...
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).