burim88

"Flight Concept" anyone ever dealt with them

Hey guys/girls.

Has anyone ever dealt with Flight Concept? I've sent a canopy 2 month ago or so for a reline and inspections. After a I had a mal, my rigger inspected it and noticed the canopy had 1 cell made from completely different material to the other 8.

I've not heard from the guy called "Red" at flight concept for a while now apart from him saying "he's been out the office and he'll check it soon" and that email was on 31st March. It's nearly May now. I've emailed him since then but with no reply. I'm pretty sure it doesn't take that long to inspect a main!

Last I heard was that they changed company name to "Parachutish Direct" or something like that. http://www.parachutesdirect.com

Apparently it seems they have changed their name... again. Parachutes direct, formerly Flight Concepts, formerly Glide Path, formerly Django Enterprises, are one of the older manufacturers. Red Payne is the top guy there for sure. I've emailed them before and by the looks of things, Red handles everything, which would explain the brevity of communications and long wait times.

burim88

I've not heard from the guy called "Red" at flight concept for a while now ... I've emailed him since then but with no reply.

I called the number on the parachutesdirect.com web site and talked to Red this morning. 4/27/15

I ordered my main from flight concepts and they will never get another penny out of me.

Am I happy with the canopy overall? Yes
Am I happy with the ordering process? Absolutely not!

I found out after the fact that they knew long before my canopy was slated for completion that it wasn't going to be done on time. They never bothered to tell anybody until Chutingstar called on my behalf to ask. I was told it might be finished in 2 months (they'd rejected a roll of one of the colors I'd chosen and I assume were awaiting a new roll). Roughly a month later, the canopy showed up at Chutingstar with no warning whatsoever.

I understand delays happen and quality control is a very valid reason. However, as much as a new canopy costs, I expect a heads-up when 1. the company realizes there will be a delay, and 2. the item has been completed and shipped.

Edited to add that my order was placed mid-december 2014 and promised a 6 week turnaround.
If you can't convince them, keep them confused.

Funny enough he messaged me only a few hours ago saying that he relined the canopy. However he's not willing to do anything about the cell that is made from completely different material saying that most CRW canopies are made with a different centre cell (yet mine is a fully elipitcal canopy, it's not called "Rage" for nothing)

He said it weren't the manufactures at fault! It cost me quite a bit to send the canopy from UK England to flight concept in USA just for him to go and say "nope it's not my fault and won't do anything about it". Shame really. I'll be staying well away from them.

Thx for the heads up.

burim88

However he's not willing to do anything about the cell that is made from completely different material saying that most CRW canopies are made with a different centre cell (yet mine is a fully elipitcal canopy, it's not called "Rage" for nothing)

Oh, I was thinking that you had not received the canopy back yet. Does it fly OK? (Edited: Sorry, I missed the part where you said it malfunctioned. Do you know why it malfunctioned? Does it fly OK?) Sometimes a manufacturer might need to use a slightly different fabric (or color) for a repair of an older canopy.

The example he was giving you about the CRW canopy having a different material for the center cell was just to let you know that different materials on different cells do not necessarily cause trouble. You will need to jump it to find out what is going on.

But you are right, dealing with a company that is in a different country may be more trouble than you want to deal with.

***Hey guys/girls.

Has anyone ever dealt with Flight Concept? I've sent a canopy 2 month ago or so for a reline and inspections. After a I had a mal, my rigger inspected it and noticed the canopy had 1 cell made from completely different material to the other 8. .......
.............................................................................................

Can you be more specific about "completely different material?"