Alexg3265

Mini Riser webbing type question...

so typically, mini risers are made with 2500lb type 17 webbing. I've made my fair share of risers, and my wife wants neon green risers. so long story short, i dont want to buy a huge roll of specially made neon green type 17, but i found climbing webbing thats 1" and 4200lb, slightly thicker and was wondering if anyone can think of any reason not to build risers with it... I know the 3 ring will fail and warp at around 3000-3500 lbs typically, and the risers should fail at or before the 3rings ( pretty much when your arms are being ripped off and shit is going to hell quick).... but i cant think of any other reason why not. Stretch, but it doesnt seem to stretch. I have the same webbing in black and have done some pull tests and it seems to be very dimensionally stable.

GO!
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

The fact that it's thicker is a bit of an issue. Don't use any type three tape in it or at least not around the ring. The thickness reduces the mechanical advantage of the middle ring. That increases the load on the tape and sewing of the small ring. This is not trivial I've seen risers break the tape of the small ring. Mini risers are bad enough to begin with in terms of tolerances and mechanical advantage.

Is this really worth it? Neon fucking green? Black. Risers, harnesses, and preferably every thing else is supposed to be black. It's so simple. Black. It goes with every thing. Tell her it will make her look skinny.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

ive got a couple aerodyne mini rings laying around so that will give a little extra mechanical advantage. I already tried to talk her out of neon green, but im married... so hence im trying to find a reason not to... ill definitely build a 3 ring out of it and break it to see what fails... I told her dark colors just for dirt, but ill have to throw in the skinny part!:D

I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

fluffyduckie

Check with Sun Path. They offer neon green as an option for risers. http://www.sunpath.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=11

This! ^

Sun Path has already made the bulk purchase. Just tell them you want to buy a couple of yards off of them.

I once wanted a jump suit in an unusual color, and my chosen jump suit manufacturer didn't stock that color, and they didn't want to buy an entire bolt just to make my one suit. So I found another manufacturer who had the color in stock, bought the fabric from them, and mailed it to the company that was going to make my suit.