Jon26

Determining cascade entry point

Hi,

I recently bought an older Spectre 120 (for cheap) that is out of trim.
It being a spare canopy (and a big upsize for the intention of using as a conservative wingsuit canopy) I thought it would be a good subject for having a go at making a lineset.
I've ordered a spool of 725 Spectra with the intention of building one and have the line-trim chart and line-trim measurement guide.
I have access to and experience with the necessary machines and have experience attaching/sewing linesets.
What i don't have is the measurements for the location of the cascade line entry points.
Assuming the existing lines are way out of trim (its not right here in front of me at the moment) is there any way to determine the correct positioning of the cascades?
If not, does anyone here have the measurements and care to let me know by any chance?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4322894;#4322894

It turns out PD won't tell you this information for this exact reason; they don't want you building you own line set. I asked them. Your best choice would be to measure the existing cascades. I don't imagine the tolerances are very small. I think the overall trim matters more.

I thought that might be the case.
I saw someone had hit upon it somewhere on your project thread but hadn't seen that you'd asked the same about the Optimum.
I guess i'll see what measurements i have to work with on the old lines and sit down with a pen and paper and put my thinking cap on.

This seems a bit unreasonable.
I know of some people who have made linesets for pd canopies. I'll ask what they did. Hope its not just guess work....

Been thinking of trying to reline my old spectre, but I realize its going to be more complicated than I imagined. Please tell us how you got on and maybe the details also :)

I know someone who makes line sets. If you show up at the DZ with a new canopy to be installed he will measure where the cascades are and add the information to his personal data base. If you don't have a new canopy to measure then it is just guess work.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

There will be some shrinkage on the outer lines but I'll bet $20 that all the B and D line started out the same length. At least that's how I'd do it. From that and the line trim data you can get the cascade point for each main line. Use little stickers or tags to label them or use different color sharpie's to mark them and make a chart with those colors because there will be a little bit of difference to the line to the out side of the canopy. Like black for all the inner lines, and red and blue for the two outer A/B and the same for the C/D lines, red for the outer blue for the next one in.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com