NatechPHY

Improper Bridle Routing?

Hi all,

I tried to do a search for this specific concern I'm having and have had some hits and misses. This is my first rig, so I want to make sure that I am not missing anything. What I'm trying to find out is, in the attached picture, is this a bad way to route a bridle? I received my rig back from a packer this way. It was after my last load for the day, so I just picked it up and went on my way home since I wasn't going to be jumping any more that day. The other packs that were done that day were not done in this manner.

The way I've always done it is the same way it states in my rigs manual to do it (this is what the consensus was for the threads I searched). This is to route the main bridle across the top of the bag and to the upper right corner. Then, close the flaps and install the closing pin, followed by the standard S-Fold method for the remaining bridle.

In the photo, as you can see, the bridle isn't routed in this way and it looks to all be stowed on the bottom. Is there a disadvantage to this? It's hard to see the kill line to determine if it's cocked, but other than that, what issues could this cause? Should I reroute it? Just trying to learn so that I can look out for this again in the future.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with this method.

The only thing I would do different, is to leave the "window" exposed. Simply pull a little of the bridle out until you see the window.

There was a small rash of pierced bridles a little while back, and you started seeing more of this method as a way to prevent it.

For some piece of mind, pull the pilot chute and bridle out and watch how it comes out.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4158486;search_string=pierced%20bridle;#4158486

This is also, now, the recommended routing on Vectors (2nd page)...

Likewise, according to the UPT FB:

Current UUPT collapsible pilot chutes can be used with this new routing, while future manufactured pilot chutes will feature a relocation of the inspection window for ease of use.

Please make sure there is adequate slack on the bridle so that the pin can rotate to any direction. I run the bridle above the pin then back down.

On the UPT/Vector thing I don't think it's fair to say they just started. It's just that recently that enough newbies who actually read the manual pointed it out so old farts became aware and added it to their teaching curriculum.

-Michael

DougH

It takes skill, to mess up that badly!

And yet, it happens every so often.

Most cases I've heard of mirror's my own experience when I was <100 jumps and did it... the pack job was basically done (including stowing the PC, and the pin popped loose (in my case, as I was withdrawing the pullup cord).

Not wanting to backup and redo the entire closing, I rethreaded the pullup cord and reclosed the rig.... with the bridle under the right flap.

I my case, I caught it during a pin check... but other newbie's don't until they throw-out at terminal...

Lessons learned:
1. If you have to repeat a step, back everything out to that step and do it in the correct order.

2. DO your pin checks. When something doesn't look right (even if you can't say for sure WHAT looks wrong), either fix it, or get a rigger to double check it and show you what they find.

One thing many of the older jumpers forget, there is always someone who is now, where we were "back then". They do have to learn the same lessons, but they don't have to learn the same hard way.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

hackish

On the UPT/Vector thing I don't think it's fair to say they just started. It's just that recently that enough newbies who actually read the manual pointed it out so old farts became aware and added it to their teaching curriculum.

-Michael

Remember Vector 2 tandemrigs? You had to route the drogue bridle like that.