RedundantRigger

Increase pack volume

Is there a way to safely increase the pack volume of the canopy in d-bag in such a way, that it will fill out a slightly too large container.

Are there maybe d-bags that are constructed extra bulky?
Was thinking of maybe modyfing the one I have, but not sure what to do with it yet...

any ideas?

I have sometimes wondered about tacking or sewing a couple pieces of foam, wrapped in fabric, into a d-bag, top or sides. Never actually tried it.

I have tacked or sewn stiff foam (enclosed by fabric) into main containers, either against the backpad or reserve wall, to change the pack volume. Depending on the design, the foam is semi-permanent or can be slipped out to change the pack volume. My personal rig easily handles everything from a 75 (no crossbracing) to a 170. I get the impression that doing such things was uncommon years ago and extremely rare nowadays. And I wasn't worried about the FAA's rules.

pchapman

I have sometimes wondered about tacking or sewing a couple pieces of foam, wrapped in fabric, into a d-bag, top or sides. Never actually tried it.

I have tacked or sewn stiff foam (enclosed by fabric) into main containers, either against the backpad or reserve wall, to change the pack volume. Depending on the design, the foam is semi-permanent or can be slipped out to change the pack volume. My personal rig easily handles everything from a 75 (no crossbracing) to a 170. I get the impression that doing such things was uncommon years ago and extremely rare nowadays. And I wasn't worried about the FAA's rules.

Years ago I had a container that was built for a Raven III and by the time I got rid of it I had a much smaller canopy in it. We did exactly what you mentioned - tacked a slice of foam padding in the bottom of the pack tray. Not sure if it was legal but it worked just fine.

Of course that kind of stuff wasn't dangerous back then. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

Not sure if it was legal but it worked just fine.

Of course that kind of stuff wasn't dangerous back then. ;)

You didn't "modify" the container... some tacking just happened to be temporarily threaded between the existing fibres of the pack's nylon. ;);)

Modifying the container seems a bit questionable. It's impractical because I need the volume for when i put in my large crw canopy. And also, I can only imagine the look on the DZ chieftans face when he discovers a piece of styrofoam camping pad handtacked inside my container :D

The mod has to be done on the d-bag.
I've seen stiffeners sewn to d-bags to aid a main spring PC deployment. I think a lair of styrofoam and a covering lair of fabric would suffice. I would do this only on one of the long sides, just like the stiffeners.

thoughts?

Have you considered modifying the main closing loop anchor point?
My container was originally built for a 190 main and had a short closing loop attached to the inner top flap.
When I sewed in a Javelin style main loop anchor strap, I gained another 3 inches of slack in my closing loop.
Now the same container safely holds a 150 or 135 sized main, while still maintains decent tension on the curved closing pin.

RedundantRigger

Is there a way to safely increase the pack volume of the canopy in d-bag in such a way, that it will fill out a slightly too large container.

Just get a brand-new jumper/packer to pack it for you. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

RedundantRigger

Are there maybe d-bags that are constructed extra bulky?
Was thinking of maybe modyfing the one I have, but not sure what to do with it yet...

any ideas?

Whether sewing in bulk to the container or d-bag, be real careful to not add snag point where lines could get caught under a corner. Even a minor snag that would not last very long before un-snagging could cause a mal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am