jguy904

counter weight for flag--how much?

how much counter weight would be needed for a 3by5 flag and a 6by10 flag/

MUFF #3384, DIRTY SANCHEZ #28(Chief Recruiting Officer), FALLING GATOR #7801-A, POPS #10957, FLYING HELLFISH #847, HISPAS #79, SRA #9229, Surfador Rodrigues

I've used 2-4 lbs for 3x5, i think upwards of 6 for the 6x10. My recommendation is build a weight bag that you can add/remove 2lb SOFT shot dive weights to. That way you can adjust the weight for various flags and avoid the dribbling of shot into your sewing machine trying to custom make weights.
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

If the flag will only be used for jumping, a better design is to have the weight sewn into the leading edge instead of having a drop weight. This allows for the flag to fly straighter and lets you use less weight. This keeps you from having the potential of dropping a weight also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'd suggest double checking your design for failure modes... (what happens if it fails "this" way...)

Better to leak small shot than drop a weight (or bag of shot).

Also, good idea to clear the airspace/ground below before deploying the flag if you're using a weight. I dropped one years ago and was REALLY glad it was into an open field away from the audience.

For a 3x5 and 4x6 there are also setups that do not use a weight and allow for the jumper to recover the flag without dragging it.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...