BrianM

changing Consew 339RB-1 needle gauge (and what's the machine worth?)

I've got a possible lead on a used Consew 399RB-1. It's currently set up with a 3/8" needle gauge. I would want to convert it to 3/16" for binding.

What parts do I need?
Where can I find them?
Roughly how much will they cost? (if it's a lot, it might factor into the decision to buy the machine or not).
Is this something I can do myself, or should I have it done professionally? I've done some basic adjustments on other machines, including setting the timing.

The seller hasn't decided on an asking price yet. What's a reasonable price range? I haven't seen it in person yet, but from the one picture I have seen, it looks like a newer machine and looks like it's in great shape. The seller says it's in excellent condition. I'm happy to pay what it's worth, I just want to have a rough idea so I'll know if he's asking way too much.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Here's an example of the parts you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONSEW-339-339RB-2-NEEDLE-Walking-Foot-Gauge-Set-3-16-/280894536724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41669e7c14

Price of the machine is highly variable. A dealer would want at least $800 or so for a good one. I'd keep looking if it was more than $400. But I'm cheap, and I don't NEED one!

You can probably do it yourself if you can set up the timing.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Great! Thanks Ken! I googled for Consew 339 gauge sets but didn't find anything. Just tried the google search again and now I'm getting results - go figure!

That's not bad, I was expecting it to cost more than that.

gowlerk

Price of the machine is highly variable. A dealer would want at least $800 or so for a good one. I'd keep looking if it was more than $400. But I'm cheap, and I don't NEED one!

For just the head, or head/table/motor?

And I don't NEED one either, but I WANT one! :D I'm sure you know that the correct number of machines to own is n+1, where n is the number currently owned.

I'm looking for my first double needle to use mainly for binding. If it's something that will work ok as a single needle walking foot for stuff that my Bernina 217 won't do well, that would be even better (since I have limited space for machines).

gowlerk

You can probably do it yourself if you can set up the timing.

B|

I was talking complete. But that's just my opinion on the price of an older, but nice one. I don't really have any in depth knowledge of what the price should be.

I see three recent sales of used ones on Ebay. $1100 to $1399, all nice clean looking units from dealers.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I was talking complete. But that's just my opinion on the price of an older, but nice one. I don't really have any in depth knowledge of what the price should be.

I see three recent sales of used ones on Ebay. $1100 to $1399, all nice clean looking units from dealers.

Around here, I'd say $1100-$1300.

I might just have one for sale.

Changing the gauge isn't hard once you see how to do it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

When you get the new needle bar see if you can get the new "squid" needle bar. It has buttons on the side which allows you to raise each needle up into a non sewing position. It is great for turning a 90 degree corner.
Steps:
. You sew up to the corner and sink both needles into the work
. You raise the left needle and spin the work 90 degrees.
. Hand crank the needle bar to the up position, pause, then lower the left needle, so it will sew again

It produces a perfect 90 degree corner

With a regular needle bar, you have to turn the work with the needles up =no pivot point. The "squid" needle bar invention is pretty cool and worth the money.

dpreguy

When you get the new needle bar see if you can get the new "squid" needle bar. It has buttons on the side which allows you to raise each needle up into a non sewing position. It is great for turning a 90 degree corner.

I didn't know that was available, thank you very much for sharing! I'll definitely look for one if I get this machine.

Is this something that's specific to this machine, or are they available for most other machines as well?

This, but in 3/16".

As long as the needle bar has a removable needle clamp, it will work. The thing to look for is that the clamp matches the size and thread pitch of the needle bar. The needle bar for my 339 needs a 5mm post on the clamp. Some of the clamps are 4.5mm.

Jump an Infinity

I've got a possible lead on a used Consew 399RB-1. It's currently set up with a 3/8" needle gauge. I would want to convert it to 3/16" for binding.

What parts do I need?
Where can I find them?
Roughly how much will they cost? (if it's a lot, it might factor into the decision to buy the machine or not).
Is this something I can do myself, or should I have it done professionally? I've done some basic adjustments on other machines, including setting the timing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONSEW-339-339RB-2-NEEDLE-5-PC-GAUGE-SET-/390606461306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af1f5997a

A good machine with average wear will cost about $1600-$2200 used. That is a complete setup including table, motor, and stand.

To change the gauge set, you will need some mechanical knowledge with some good tools, especially screwdrivers.

Cheap, poor fitting screw drivers have made many a good machine in junk just because the previous guy did not use the right screwdrivers for the job and ruined the screws.

Also, they do NOT have to be cranked down like you were bolting a tank together.
Snug is good! Gently snug is better!!!
Remember this when working on all sewing machines.

The hook saddles will need to be moved in to make the proper needle to hook clearance. Take your time here as it will make or break the conversion.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Mel,

I ordered one from that seller. The threaded post of the needle clamp was 4.5mm diameter, where my needle bar needed a 5mm post with a bit longer shaft. Had to send it back. Make sure to contact the seller and confirm post diameter and length before ordering. I was able to google his name and got his phone number to speak directly with him.

Jump an Infinity

I found it. And now I remember why I didn't already get one.

"This Flip Up Clamp usually requires the removal of 5/8" from the bottom of the needle bar rock frame or the lower needle bar bushing. An experienced mechanic is highly recommended!"

What did you do to make it work in the available space?

Cheap, poor fitting screw drivers have made many a good machine in junk just because the previous guy did not use the right screwdrivers for the job and ruined the screws.

Amen.

http://www.chapmanmfg.com/

They aren't that expensive either.

+1. My double needle cost about $200 for the head and I spent $50 (paid in brewskis) to have a local machine shop remove and retap 6 o the screws, 2 of which we ended up going 1 size over. I guess I don't see how that would turn a machine into 'junk', but it certainly is a pain.
=========Shaun ==========

gowlerk

Amen.

http://www.chapmanmfg.com/

They aren't that expensive either.

Thanks for the link! Always good to know sources for good tools. And, as you say, quite reasonable in price.