sammielu

"Most comfortable" rig vs "custom made".

Anyone have experience jumping different manufacturers' rigs that were made for you? Or different rigs from one manufacturer, made for you, but that are made for different size canopies?

I'm always curious if "the most comfortable rig" overlaps with "the only custom built rig I've jumped". And if a custom rig for beginner canopy sizes (about 1:1 wingloading) is less comfortable than one that holds smaller canopies (less surface area on your back).

My theory is that any rig that is made to fit is going to be the "most comfortable" for that jumper, especially after paying for it. Thoughts?

I am a slightly unusual shape, so all of my containers have been custom made.

I've had rigs from Aerodyne, UPT and VSE. All very similar options (in particular, no chest rings).

The Infinity (VSE) is for the smallest canopies, and it is excellent - you are right about the back surface area thing, and I took the container option that minimised it (the 'SN' shape). But I have to say the Vector (UPT), which I still own, is slightly more comfortable.

[edit: The Icon was for much bigger canopies than the other two, so it's hard to compare. I would say it was a bit less comfy than the other two, but recent Icons have a lot more padding and different yoke shapes than mine did so are probably nicer to wear.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I've had two custom containers. One Talon FX FX5 size and my current V308 Micron. My measurements haven't really changed in between, either.

The UPT is much more comfortable in every respect. Yes, the smaller size does help - beyond surface area the entire system is simply lighter, which is nice.

Outside of the padding etc etc the harness geometry and articulation philosophy is quite different between the two - I'm guessing drives a fair amount of the comfort factor.