gunsmokex

Hornet label exit weight

For those of you that jump a PISA Hornet, I was just curious what the label on your canopy says for an exit weight and what size/yr is your canopy?

The label is smudged and I can't quite make it out for the sq footage but I wanted to absolutely be sure. I believe I have a 170 and have a call into Aerodyne who are emailing Parachute de France but the label shows exit weight as 204 lbs/93 kg. There isn't much online for the orphaned Hornet.

Also if its not too much trouble what size is your slider? I heard in '02 or '03 they went to a bigger slider. Mine has brass grommets and is from '01.

Thanks

Great no email in my box >:( Tried calling Aerodyne and seems no one is home. Yesterday when I called I barely got 1 person to answer. Maybe there is a convention or boogie somewhere, I dunno. Can't call the Frenchies because I'm sure they are closed now for the weekend. Looked in the endcells where sometimes they print information nothing there and if it was there I might not be able to see it anyway since the material is black.

Oh well I'll take it over to my riggers house this weekend and have him do an inspection on it. Guess we can measure it out and see to be sure. Plus side it looks to be in great condition :)

gunsmokex

we can measure it out and see to be sure.

I'm pretty sure there are PISA Hornet line specs at one of the rigging manuals sites (parachutemanuals.com or ukskydiver.co.uk)(but no full manual)... that could also help confirm the size.

I'm pretty sure there are PISA Hornet line specs at one of the rigging manuals sites (parachutemanuals.com or ukskydiver.co.uk)(but no full manual)... that could also help confirm the size.

Chapman thanks for the info from the UK site, I had found the parachute manuals site but didn't see that the UK had rigging manuals too, great collection of resources there.

I happen to have an original manual from my Hornet DOM 25-01-2002. See attachment.

Can't really help on the slider size as I don't have the canopy at the moment.

EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks Mark! This confirms its a 170! Still have yet to hear from either Aerodyne or Parachute de Frances, they kind of lost a vote of confidence from me but I do understand that the Hornet isn't their canopy too however its very discouraging when you call 6 times in two days and only get a hold of one person and are still waiting for an email that has yet to come.

What is your exit weight ? Unimpressed

My weight is 155 lbs I've been told to figure 20 lbs for the gear for a total exit weight of 175lbs. Wingload 1.029/1. I don't plan on jumping this rig until my instructors give me the ok though. The container and harness Vector II that I bought used though fits me perfectly, well perfect as far as I can tell but its better than the small sized student rig. Last time I jumped that rig it made my hips feel...I don't how to explain it but when I walked the next day I definitely felt it after 1 jump and it was a nice stable deployment. With the large sized student rig, my shoulder straps didn't quite feel right and left some nice bruises on my torso from the chest and shoulder straps sliding think had some nice bruises on the legs too.

So needless to say I'm pumped to get my own rig. At my age less pain is a good thing, I'm just not as young as I used to be. I realize that I only have 15 jumps and will wait for the go ahead from my instructors to jump my own rig but it will definitely be nice to have a harness that fits my body type I'm hoping I won't be quite so sore the next day even if the container is 20yrs old.

For canopy size yes I realize that its definitely going to fly completely different than the huge student canopies that I'm used to bigger risk for linetwists and things happen a lot faster. I've heard the Hornet needs a 2 stage flare, 1st to level it out and the 2nd to stop the forward speed. The student canopy I've flown I just dig out a nice hard flare all in one motion and they've all been nice gentle touch down landings, well except for the 2 PLFs that I was required to do. Next time in the air I'm going to practice the 2 stage flare up high and work on flat/brake turns.

Reserve will be a PDR 160 and I confirmed with UPT that the main and reserve are compatible for my container. Brand new AAD is on its way as well. The one thing that my rig won't have that I'd like would be an RSL.

Anyways I'm absolutely pumped that I now own my OWN rig and that I was able to piece together a rig that didn't break the bank. Bonus, once I start jumping my own rig I will be saving more money for jump tickets! Maybe I'll see you guys at Lost Prarie.

Have a great Saturday!

Does your rig have padded legs straps. That would be more of a sore crotch thing. Sore hips ... that's weird. With an exit weight clearly low enough to not exceed a maximum weight, you should be fine even with an un-readable label ( as long as you are sure of the canopy SIZE ), right ? Hornets fly very flat by the way ...... so flat, it may never come down ... :P

Life is short ... jump often.

jumpsalot-2

Does your rig have padded legs straps. That would be more of a sore crotch thing. Sore hips ... that's weird. With an exit weight clearly low enough to not exceed a maximum weight, you should be fine even with an un-readable label ( as long as you are sure of the canopy SIZE ), right ? Hornets fly very flat by the way ...... so flat, it may never come down ... :P

I was talking about the student rigs, sore hips was from the small rental rig. I haven't gotten to use my rig or hornet yet. I've heard they fly pretty flat though which will be great in case of a long spot.