FlyinDawg

Main bag popped out

I'm saying this for safety. I'm thank to Kyle who saved my life to prevent climb out. Here's short story... we practice for 4-way out of C-182 at Jumping Place in St. Marys. I always check on rig before get it on me. Closing pin looking fine and fully closed. I'm 3rd person to climb out and Kyle is 4th. I was about to climb out and I feel pop on my back and Kyle grabbed me immediately and say stop! I realized the main bag went out. I was like oh shit. I stay in plane till land on the ground and repack it to make sure for secure and closing pin and flaps closed. REMEMBER: double check on rig before board the plane! It can cause pre-mature delpoy! Thanks to Kyle again, ;)
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Check your closing loop and shorten it if necessary. Talk about it with your Rigger or S&TA.

Not that this person who posted this about his main poping out was a coach, but see my thread (100 jump wonder/coach) that I posted here in safety and training about my recent experience with loose closing loops.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

REMEMBER: double check on rig before board the plane! It can cause pre-mature delpoy! Thanks to Kyle again, ;)

Don't forget to check the pins before you open the door on jump run. Especially in a small plane like a 182 when you are leaning against the plane bulkhead, and moving around bumping your rig against stuff.

You are lucky that your friend noticed since there is a good chance that he wouldn't have noticed!!! As was mentioned you probably knocked the pin loose while monkying around in the plane. Just checking before you board is not enough.

PIN CHECK!!!!!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Yesterday we had an aff student which is a big guy, rub his rig on the pilots seat in a c182, it popped the pin and the dbag fell out. The pilot (which is a VERY experienced skydiver) saw it as he he exited and tossed it out behind him. Needless to say other than a few line twists he got a 10,000 foot canopy ride. This was probably the best scenario that could arise from an incident like that. The closing loop was properly adjusted, it does not take much to pop the pin it it is hit at the right angle!

Yesterday we had an aff student which is a big guy, rub his rig on the pilots seat in a c182, it popped the pin and the dbag fell out. The pilot (which is a VERY experienced skydiver) saw it as he he exited and tossed it out behind him. Needless to say other than a few line twists he got a 10,000 foot canopy ride. This was probably the best scenario that could arise from an incident like that. The closing loop was properly adjusted, it does not take much to pop the pin it it is hit at the right angle!

whoa.....[:/].. at what point did the pilot chute get deployed????

and was it simply Pulled OUT by the deploying main??? or did the aff student, experience a horseshoe.. which he then cleared by pulling the PC??? was the student aware of what happened??? or did he need to have it all explained to him, later, on the ground.. Did he land ON the dz... how were the winds???

Not sure if the right move is to toss the d bag out the door.....But i wasn't there....
any way the student could have been stopped, before getting to the door??? how many JM's?? was one outside?? and one inside???
glad it all worked out...
jmy

It was a c182 I was watching from the ground. The story I got was the JM was out of the plane an the studendnt was attempting his first dive out exit. LUCKILY the pilot saw the bag on the floor as he student started to leap and reacted! The pilot chut fortunately must have come out as the back hit the relative wind preventing a horseshoe. Th skydiver is big, I do not mean fat, he is a very fit bodybuilder. He said his arm got caught uo in the line twist, he calmly freed his arm and kicked out of the twist. He didn't realize anything was wrong until his canopy started opening. This was only his 7th jump. It was the best scenario that could have played out, quick thinking on the pilots part prevented a very bad siutation from escalating. The winds were not bad he landed in the LZ, he was wearing a radio!