decompresion

Rigging Innovations CURV

So this is more for me than anyone else but whatever...

These are some musings on the recently bought a brand new Curv Vc4 container to replace my Wings W13.
The reserve is PDR176 and main Sabre2-170 with a Cypress2 AAD
I am not a rigger

The rig is assembled and packed and looks good. I haven't jumped it yet but here are a couple of things I noticed.
The Curv packing volume chart shows that a PR-160 or an Optimum-176 are the correct size. We had no problems getting a PR-176 in the bag and the reserve tray closed easily with the recommended loop length.
I can't talk enough about how easy it was to bag the main canopy. I need to take a closer look at the D-bag but I think it must have a combination of magic features that make bagging so easy.
I am still learning how to handle the mag stows. I made a mess of it on the first try. It was easier to bring the bag to the rig than to s-fold as I go.
Riser protection and the tuck tabs look solid.
I like the placement of the Cypress cutter on the innermost flap because you don't get the gap when it is on the second flap.

Warning! This is a can of worms:
- On the one hand:having the cutter on the bottom of the reserve container means that the reserve loop can still catch on something after activation, so having the cutter in the flap is nice.
- On the other hand: if the cutter activates and catches the loop instead of cutting it, there is no way to get the reserve out at all even if you pull silver. Both scenarios are highly unlikely.
End of worms.

The BOC spandex could be more susceptible to wear, velcro and airplane bits than the cordura that is in the Wings system. I am also not sure how easy it would be to replace it because the rig has not been on the market that long and the spandex gets better every year.
I love the way the handles sit. I like that they are not actually inside the main lift web. I think the articulation is in the right place. The laterals are also well placed and comfy.
The leg straps have two types of webbing. One webbing is more wear resistant and the other is for strength.
The pockets for excess in the leg straps are placed in such a way that I never noticed how bad they were on other rigs until I put the Curv on for the first time. (I can't explain why)
Another excellent feature is that once the main flap is closed there is no gap. I could routinely reach back and check my pin with a finger on my wings and I was always concerned that this gap is completely unnecessary.
The main closing flaps have these metal rings like on a tandem rig to close them. I just can't get over the irrational fear that the metal on metal interaction between the pin and these rings will cause a PCIT. This is an internal mind game for me and nothing else.
I opted for the silver reserve handle for no other reason than my initial training is on this setup and in a time of crisis I might fuck things up if I have something else.

After I jump it, I will post more thoughts
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Nice initial review. One thing that is incredibly important about the Curv...
It's the most comfortable rig I've ever worn.
The way it hugs my shoulders when I'm backflying really helps.
And of course, it's got a really sweet/unique look and style. When I'm overseas or in Canada, people frequently come up wanting to check it out.

DSE

One thing that is incredibly important about the Curv...
It's the most comfortable rig I've ever worn....

I concur. I am a jumper of 30 years and have jumped RI products exclusively that entire time. Every RI rig I have owned has been awesome but the Curv with its Bio Yoke and Bio Curv take comfort to a whole new level.

The Curv has confirmed once again why I stay with Sandy and Brenda Reid and family. Truly innovative products and service second to none.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Nice review, once you jump your Curv you will be even more impressed. I've been jumping a Curv for ~two years and love it. And I fully concur with what others have said about comfort: the Curv is the most comfortable rig made!

not to hijack the thread but I am saving up for a new custom container and trying to decide what to go with. with wings, javelin, vector it is easy to find pictures of rigs to get an idea of what they look like. with the curv it is not so easy. I have only seen one at the dz and the orange and grey one they use for advertising. can any one post a pic of theres... thanks

tred

not to hijack the thread but I am saving up for a new custom container and trying to decide what to go with. with wings, javelin, vector it is easy to find pictures of rigs to get an idea of what they look like. with the curv it is not so easy. I have only seen one at the dz and the orange and grey one they use for advertising. can any one post a pic of theres... thanks

I was having the same issues when I was trying to figure out my color scheme. I called RI up and talked to Angela and explained my issue. She asked me what colors I was looking at and then my address. RI express shipped all the colors I was interested in plus others I had just mentioned. If that isn't customer service, I don't know what is.

I love my Vc1. It's extremely comfortable on the ground and in the air. The way it feels like it's a part of my body vs. hanging on my back is awesome. Under canopy it's extremely comfortable and very responsive to harness input.

All in all, it's a great rig and when I need to downsize in the future, I'll be sure to call RI for another one.