nigel99

Read/restore Serial Number?

Looking for idea's on reading a serial number or date of manufacture that is faded to the point that it isn't visible/legible on gear?

Has anyone tried blacklight?

Any tried and tested ideas welcome.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Sometimes it's worthwhile to ask the manufacturer. For example I had no idea that our icarus tandem mains have the serial number printed inside the centre cell too. Maybe you will learn that the serial number is in a second location too.

-Michael

Many canopies have the serial number written in two places. The most obvious place is the orange war I g label on the tail. Some manufacturers also like to write the serial number on an inside rib. Para-Flite started the trend by writing the entire data panel on the centre rib. PISA and Strong like to repeat the serial number on a (non-load-bearing) rib in an end cell.

Some harness/container manufacturers also repeat serial numbers on the orange warning label and a reserve riser.
On tandem student harnesses, look on the horizontal back strap.

likestojump

Which piece of gear ?

Harness and both locations that I know of are faded to the point they aren't visible (normal panel and reserve riser).

I am not worried as it is almost certainly out of service life (PA Talon) and I bought it for spares (handles, freeebag etc). But I am interested to see if there is a way for future reference.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I looked at the entrance to the end cells along the rib material and couldn't find anything printed in there on my PISA Hornet. Probably doesn't help that the material is black though.

riggerrob

Many canopies have the serial number written in two places. The most obvious place is the orange war I g label on the tail. Some manufacturers also like to write the serial number on an inside rib. Para-Flite started the trend by writing the entire data panel on the centre rib. PISA and Strong like to repeat the serial number on a (non-load-bearing) rib in an end cell.

Some harness/container manufacturers also repeat serial numbers on the orange warning label and a reserve riser.
On tandem student harnesses, look on the horizontal back strap.