Safelandings

At what point of the deployment do the risers come out?

I just recently received my own gear and started packing for myself. I notice after packing when I'm pulling it apart to do it again that I pull the bridle releasing the closing loop, pulling the bag out, lines unstow, canopy comes out, pilot chute collapses, THEN the risers are pulled through the magnetic risers. I know they say you want full line extension before the canopy is released from the bag, but does this include the risers? This all happens so fast during free fall that I never noticed at what point do the risers come out.

Though this is a wingsuit jump of mine, you can still see more or less the exact same deployment sequence happen. Instead of moving vertically I am moving more diagonally in this instance. Video was made to show how weird air currents in a wingsuit burble can alter your openings. Slowed from 30 frames per second to 2 frames per second. Software cut off the bottom of the video but it hardly affects anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWHkULgbiE

Also, your line stows should be tight enough where you can pick up your deployment bag from the lines going into it from the container. If it comes undone it is probably a little loose.

Safelandings

Tkanks for your reply. Thats good to know. I wasn't sure if I needed to make my line stows tighter to pull risers out before they unstowed.

Thanks again

IMO, probably not worth over thinking this. Pulling open a container when on the ground is not like what happens in the air. Mine seem to come out right at the end of line stretch, as seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTbrdGW-dA. (A Wings container with tuck tab riser covers). I suspect its the momentum of the bag suddenly being accellerated when the lines are all played out that finally opens them.

The risers come out when/while your lines are unstowing from the debag. the force of the process will pop your riser covers pretty quick.

Here is a screen shot of a deployment that is less than a second after pitching:

[inline a.png]

And a few milliseconds later:

[inline b.png]

And here is the full thing (fast forward to 32 seconds):

https://vimeo.com/108197614#t=0m32s

When you're doing it on the ground you are not exerting nearly as much force. In the air it happens very quickly.

Actually this is the point where you switch from belly to standup position, which is the point of time when the canopy comes out of the bag and starts to inflate, not when your lines are unstowing. You can see that you get more vertical inbetween those two shots, the unstowing of the lines doesn't create enough pull force for that.

perhaps -- honestly it's such a quick process the exact order is probably hard to tell (at least for me).

My primary point is that the force coming from the lines as they deploy is going to be quicker and sharper than laying the rig on the ground and walking it out by hand.

Sure is, and to be honest, i don't think this question matters at all ;-) but just try to close your eyes on a short delay hop n pop, you will notice how the canopy starts to inflate and you swing forward while you can feel the riser tuck tabs open :-)