fuzrb14

AustriaAlpin Hardware

I'm searching to see if anyone has experience with either BASE or Sky using the Austria Alpin Triglide friction adapters. From what I can tell they have a WLL of ~2100lbs which compared to industry standard cadmium/SS hardware is about 400 lbs shy. But one consideration is that the industry standard hardware is listed as 'tensile strength' so perhaps the WLL of the cadmium/SS hardware is actually lower than 2500lbs?
And of course Triglide is a milspec product so that should allay any reliability fears.

For those who aren't sure what I'm talking about here you go:
[url]http://www.austrialpin.net/products/military/framebuckles.ASP
**(yes the add seems to indicate 18kn which is higher than 2100lbs but the actual 1.75" Triglides are rated lower which comes out to ~2100lbs)

Does anyone have any other thoughts or experience to the safe use of this hardware?

And of course Triglide is a milspec product so that should allay any reliability fears.

Where do you get a mil-spec on any of the hardware including tri-glides? They quote specific tests concerning corrosion, dust and dirt for the Cobra buckles but that is not the same as having a 'mil-spec'. The 'military' abandoned all of the specifications for parachute type hardware and materials in 1998. (my be off on the date) The Parachute Industry Association members involved believed that an industry specification document that could be referenced was still needed. All Mil-spec were converted to PIA-specs and are being maintained and sold by the PIA. Lots of folks spend lots of time on maintaining and updating these specifications.

I don't see anywhere that this hardware as an individual mil-spec for design and performance. Such mil specs are very detailed in engineering drawings and performance among other things.

I've seen this hardware in safety applications (hunter fall protection) and other uses but I don't know of parachute applications. The comparable specs for a friction adapter are below, taken from Bourdon Forge web site. Note PROOF load is 2500lbs Minimum tensile is 4000lbs. AustiaAlpin triglides are similar in strength but compatibility with harness webbing would be concern. I've normally seen these with much thinner webbing than type 7, more like type 8.

They might work, maybe they have been used. Most of the applications are not fall protection. Some of the NFPA Cobra buckles might be appropriate. And these triglides if they work with the webbing may be appropriate. But you may be the test dummy.:P

From Bourdon Forge website.

1203 Adapter Parachute Harness, Quick Fit
1203 Adapter Parachute Harness, Quick Fit

Military/Parachute
1203-1 PS22040-1
1203-2 PS22040-2
Fall Arrest/Safety
1203-1S/1203-1G

Hot Forged Alloy Steel / Cadmium Plate/ Phosphate Coat
Thermal Treated
100% Proof Load Tested @ 11.2 KN(2500 lbs.) and
100% Side Load Tested @ 4.5 KN(1000 lbs.)
Minimum Tensile Strength 4000 lbs.
Approximate weight 3.1 ounces
Meets or exceeds PIA-H-7195, ANSI Z-359.2
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

HeadInClouds

"Aluminum" sticks out as something very unusual when in consideration for load-bearing parachute hardware. I'm no engineer, but there's probably a darned good reason why no one has every used aluminum hardware on parachute rigs before. I wouldn't want to be the first...

If I remember correct squirrels rig has aluminium hardware.
And thats a BASErig. Look at their video with the 'girl' on their site.

Apologies for mistakenly presuming Mil Spec.

Regarding Aluminum, it is very common in other air sports as a load bearing buckle though non that I'm aware of come under such loads as Sky/Base.

I know some people who have used and are using these style buckles on rigs (ty8webbing) though I wanted to reach out to a larger audience / experience pool to see if there were any hard facts.

I use these as standard as leg strap adjusters on my base rigs (blacksheep) as does skunkape now.

I am about to grab a set off of a rig that has ~250 jumps on it and blow them up, I will check back in here when I have those numbers.

I had a friend build a harness with them and blow it up as well, the harness broke at the MLW/lateral junction (if I recall correctly) before the hardware.
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.

I use doubled type 8 for the leg straps. Zero issues with slippage, less so than with traditional steel hardware. That is one of the reasons I chose to use them.

It is worth noting I am using the "stretch" version of the hardware which is slightly longer. 2 layers of type 8 will not fit through the standard length. I also have to do the turn backs on my leg straps with 1 less layer of webbing than I would with steel, or they wont thread through the hardware.
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.