DBCOOPER

MLW measurements

Are they the same between different manufactures, specificly UPT and Sunpath? Would a mlw18 measurement on a m-series be the same as a c18 on an Odyssey?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

MLW measurement methods vary from one manufacturer to the next. Most manufacturers start measuring at the bottom edge of the shoulder hardware (e.g. RW-8), then down to the hip joint.
Rigging Innovations measures from the bottom edge of the shoulder hardware (e.g. Raw-8) to the upper leg strap.
If it is an R.I. Harness with hip rings, measure down to the bottom edge of the MLW webbing, where it folds around the hip ring. When the harness fits properly, the hip junction covers the iliac crest (pelvis bone).

Some manufacturers measure from the shoulder hardware to the BOTTOM of the hip ring.

OTOH Mirage has a stock MLW length then adds or subtracts to fit different heights of skydivers.

The MLW length is equivalent to the length between the hollow point at the junction of the two collar bones and the highest point of the hip bone. This measurement is in diagonal though corresponding to the MLW length (this is according UPT Vector way to measure the MLW). I used it several times with success.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

DBCOOPER

Are they the same between different manufactures, specificly UPT and Sunpath? Would a mlw18 measurement on a m-series be the same as a c18 on an Odyssey?

The "18" part should be pretty much the same. The "C" in C18 refers to the yoke portion (the width around the back of the neck and shoulders, around to the base ring. "C" yokes generally fit dudes of average build pretty well, and women with broad shoulders). The M-series will probably be a bit narrower through the yoke, though that will depend (I think) on the original owner's measurements. I love Sun Path for making yoke size easy to decipher!

I am assuming this question relates to how one H&C from one company compares in fit, to a H&C from another company. If not - just ignore my post.

While the measurement/length of the MLW may be the same, it does not necessarily mean the same thing from one manufacturer to another in terms of harness fit. Many companies use chest rings - Vector does not.

I'm a Vector dealer but can't speak knowledgeably about other rigs.
However, when it comes to proper fit and comfort on Vectors, in addition to the MLW, you need to factor the OSA (over the shoulder adjustment) lateral length and "Stagger".

All these combined, will determine the proper fit of an individual H&C for a particular person. When UPT decides to add another inch or two to the OSA, it may affect how long they make the MLW and definitely affects where the chest strap rides on the person and the placement of the BOC on the back.

So, just because two people may submit the same measurement for the torso, does necessarily mean they will both receive the same size MWL. This also means - just because one H&C from UPT fits someone, does mean that another H&C from UPT (with the same MLW size) will fit the same way.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

BTW
What UPT calls OSA, sunpath and sunrise calls yoke.
UPT shows both yoke and stabilizers (what done others call laterals) as deviations from standard (STD). Do their measurements would be in +/- inches. Mirage does similar, while Sunrise (Wings) just gives you all the measurements in S/M/L fashion.