cbassmnm

Error hooking up main

Hi, I recently hooked up my main to my risers for the second time, the first time being with a canopy hanger so I could see all the lines easily.
This time the canopy was on the ground. I thought I could do it right if I checked the lines good. Apparently I hooked 3 of my line groups up correctly, but apparently the left front slink did a 360 before I connected it to the risers. (I know I connected the slinks properly, I had the PD instructions there with me).
After opening I noticed my left front riser had a twist in it. It didnt seem to affect the flying or flare, which I landed no problem, but was unnerving knowing that I made an error.:o
Question is... what is the best way to check the lines on the ground while hooking them up to slinks, and risers? apparently I missed the twist of that one slink when I ran the lines up. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

It helps to put a weight on the risers to prevent them from twisting as you do the line continuity check. Make sure the risers are in the correct orientation first. After that, here's the method I was taught:

Lay the canopy on the floor tail up, just as if you were going to pro pack it. Find the warning label and trace the tail to either control line. Follow the line to the riser. Verify that it passes through the correct slider grommet and guide ring without going under any other lines. Put the control line on your shoulder and behind your neck to keep it out of the way.

Follow the stabilizer down to the first C-D cascade. Put that line between your thumb and index fingers in the hand closest to the container. Pick up the D line attachment point and follow the reinforcement tape along the bottom skin to the next D line. Put that C-D cascade between your index finger and your middle finger. The next cascade goes between the middle and ring fingers, then ring and pinky. If you have a 9-cell, put the first line on your wrist or just hold the last cascade in your other hand.

While maintaining the lines in the correct order in your hand, walk toward the container. Verify that they pass through the same grommet as your first control line, do not cross any other lines, and that their order on the rear riser is the same as in your hand. This is very easy to see with your hand a few inches from the riser and applying some tension to the lines.

Put the C-D lines behind your neck with the control line and repeat the same process for A-B cascades. When this side is done, put all the lines on the floor out of the way, find the warning label, and repeat for the other side.

Also, some people will point out that only a rigger or someone under the supervision of a rigger is allowed to hook-up the lines to the risers. :P

The term "four line" check was originally coined for rounds and borrowed for ram airs. As done for both it assumes the lines wew attached to the canopy and to the risers properly and really only checks for tangles or misattached riser. The longer description above is a good description except.that do the AB lines I flip the canopy over nose up. There is a way to do a full line rotation on a ram air laying on the ground in much less time than it takes to read the above description and you do sitting.on your butt at the harness. I've never tried to describe it in words and it takes a somewhat experienced eye. I teach it to my rigger candidates but also teach them the longer method above. The gold standard is hanging it up. ;)

I'm not trying to keep my way secret but have never found a way to describe it well. And have never posted a video to utube.:$ I hesitate to describe it and then have someone think they are doing it right when they aren't.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Also, some people will point out that only a rigger or someone under the supervision of a rigger is allowed to hook-up the lines to the risers. :P

Are you sure this is true? My understanding is that you can do what you want to your own main.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

kuai43

Are you sure this is true? My understanding is that you can do what you want to your own main.

Legally, the only thing that you can do if you're not a rigger or under the supervision of a rigger is pack the main if you're the next person jumping it. AC 105-2E also contains the following text, which is wide open to interpretation and probably will not carry the same weight as the CFRs in a court room:

13.f

Parachutist’s Handling of Equipment. The user of a parachute system may perform simple assembly and disassembly operations necessary for transportation, handling, or storage between periods of use if the parachute's design simplifies such assembly and disassembly without the use of complex operations.

mxk

Legally, the only thing that you can do if you're not a rigger or under the supervision of a rigger is pack the main if you're the next person jumping it. AC 105-2D also contains the following text, which is wide open to interpretation and probably will not carry the same weight as the CFRs in a court room:

13.f

Parachutist’s Handling of Equipment. The user of a parachute system may perform simple assembly and disassembly operations necessary for transportation, handling, or storage between periods of use if the parachute's design simplifies such assembly and disassembly without the use of complex operations.

Dude, I really hate to sound like an elitist prick, but you don't have the time (and probably the ratings) to post such things as facts.

The document is still written by lawers, and as such you really, REALLY need to pay attention to the usage of the term "approved parachute components ". Mains are not "approved" - thus that wording does not cover them.

further wording "The following are examples of approved parachutes as defined in § 105.3" solidifies that point.

Please stop digging, we hear enough from MEL :(

mxk

Legally, the only thing that you can do if you're not a rigger or under the supervision of a rigger is pack the main if you're the next person jumping it. AC 105-2D also contains the following text, which is wide open to interpretation and probably will not carry the same weight as the CFRs in a court room:

13.f

Looks like you're wrong, dude.

Reference Section 13.a:
a. Parachute. Title 14 CFR part 1, § 1.1 defines a parachute as a device used or intended tobe used to retard the fall of a body or object through the air...
...Except for a reserve static line (if installed), it does not include the main canopy, main risers, or components that depart with the main canopy if it is jettisoned.

Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

thats totally fucking stupid. so legally, im supposed to have a rigger put my main risers back onto my rig once a month, which is my monthly schedule of when i lube up my cutaway cables with silicone for maintenance?
HAH, GAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they can fuck themselves with those rules.

and as everyone else said, just get an extra set of eyes to help you. you should have caught a twisted riser laying on the ground when you were packing, even though the lines seemed to have been fine. this is how we all learn, at least it wasn't something that required a cutaway.
gravity brings me down.........

uberchris

So legally, I'm supposed to have a rigger put my main risers back onto my rig once a month, which is my monthly schedule of when I lube up my cutaway cables with silicone for maintenance?

No. That would fall under AC 105-2E para 13.f: "The user of a parachute system may perform simple assembly and disassembly operations necessary for transportation, handling, or storage between periods of use if the parachute’s design simplifies such assembly and disassembly without the use of complex operations."

And likestojump is right: quit asking questions to clarify the grey areas unless you're prepared for an answer you don't like. (Not directed at uberchris particularly.)

Mark

Not disputing anyone's knowledge or method . my thoughts..2nd set of eyes (experienced) ........inflate it on the ground after you believe you have correctly connected the parachute .......work back through your process with the 2nd set of eyes

Likes to jump, that method worked well. As soon as I grabbed the outermost line and walked it up, I could see the problem, a twist in the line group when I got up to the slider grommet. Mkx, thank you for your very detailed explanation, that was very helpful as well.
A rigger showed me how to do it with the canopy hanging up with all the lines easily visible, I should have waited to go to my DZ and hung it up to do it. I thought I could be careful enough to do it on the ground, but apparently not. talk about reality check.
In the future, I will have a second set of eyes double check my work as well. That way I can be SURE that it will be hooked up correctly.
Good thing the twist went down to the riser and didnt cause a malfunction that had to be cut away. I'm glad the flare wasn't affected as well. Live and learn.

Don't worry too much, many jumpers and riggers have had that minor problem and as far as the 4 sets of lines are clear, the parachute will fly properly.
You asked the best way on the ground to check that the lines are well installed, here it is :

Go outside with a friend by a moderate windy day, put your parachute on the ground (grass, snow...etc) with nose up and hold your harness/container accordingly ie. the front up. Put your shoulders in place on the rig (you don't have to do the chest strap). The rig is now on you in a reverse way. Take the toggles off the keepers in order to control the canopy. Have your friend holding one side of the canopy to help inflation. Your back should be facing the wind. Back up as fast as you can for inflation and be ready at the toggles. When the canopy fly above you, you should have the toggles up. The canopy then just has a moderate pull on you.
Time to check the line continuity, the links, the slider, the risers not twisted... In case the wind is stronger, have your friend behind you holding your shoulders
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.