rapaz

Service life

Yes they could use it as a marketing tool, and some pilots tell me they believe that is why they are doing it. Especially as you intelligently noted, it isn't based on anything but general comments like "nylon deteriorates with age" and stuff like that.

If they say "our products are not airworthy after 20 years", and state a reason, that probably would end it.

This is actually my point. Most are airworthy and some are not, but age isn't usually the reason. Putting out a vague and undefined service life notice, knowing it can't be made retro, isn't a credible way to go.

I was just thinking about this issue and it occurred to me...wouldn't an across the board grounding of a model of equipment at a certain age require an airworthiness directive and not a service bulletin? I think the additional effort required for an AD is why none of the manufacturers have done that just to impose a service life. Either way, I won't buy gear from a manufacturer that imposes a service life...ever. I have 3 rigs all composed of gear from manufacturers that haven't done that.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

You are getting upset by the difference between "shelf life" and "service life."
The "shelf life" of nylon parachutes is 40 or 50 years. The problem with shelf life is that military parachutes become obsolete sitting on the shelf, or the mission changes. For example, modern paratroopers are better fed, more muscular and carry more "light-weight, go-fast gadgets" than their fathers did 40 years ago, ergo 40-year-old designs cannot no longer do the job.
Meanwhile, "service life" is much shorter. If a paratrooper lands in a tree, the parachute has a "service life" of one jump. OTOH if he only jumps in the prairies, that same canopy ought last up to 1,000 jumps.

"Service life" of pilot emergency parachutes is a average of the wear-and-tear suffered during regular flying. At one extreme, we have an air show team that also gave joy rides. They replaced their PEPs after one year because they were faded, frayed and stained with oil, dirt, sweat and vomit. At the other end of the scale, we have glider pilots who only fly on weekends and carefully store their equipment over the winter. Despite careful storage, few glider PEPs last more than 20 or 25 years in the California desert before they get worn out by sunlight, sweat and getting dragged in an out of airplanes.
Closet queens are the most difficult to determine a "service life." Closet Queens may be returned to service by old riggers, who know the history of a particular model. OTOH Closet Queens can be dangerous for young riggers because they cannot find manuals and Service Bulletins in the internet. That is why I advise new riggers not to repack any PEP older than themselves.

Hi Walt,

Most are airworthy and some are not, but age isn't usually the reason.

One thing we definitely agree on is that each mfr should define it without any weasel-wording; say what you want to say and make it very clear.

Late last year I got a call from a local dz about a pilot who needed a couple of PEPs repacked. They mentioned something about 're-certification.'

The pilot got in touch with me, brought the two Security 350 SafetyChutes over; they both had SAC canopies in them that were subject to the AD on acid mesh.

I made a few phone calls, did some internet searching, and finally advised him to see if he could get his money back.

I have the FAA-authority to recertify these canopies. I would probably need to buy some new Bromesahl ( sp? ) chemicals for the testing. However, it became apparent to me that there are simply riggers out there who will not pack anything in which the mfr has put out a notice on 'service life.'

I explained all of this to him and he was able to return these two PEP to the seller.

These rigs were in unbelievably pristine condition; they really looked like they had just came out of production. But with both the AD on the canopies & the 'service life' by GQ Security, I felt it would be too much of a risk for this potential owner.

It is what it is,

Jerry Baumchen

I own a sac that failed the test. Was packed once, looks brand new. Can't ever be used. I also have a phantom that is in great condition and is packed in my vector. The phantom, vector, and joule main are all 29 years old but in absolutely pristine condition and I have no problem jumping them. Age is just a number. That being said I agree with your decision on the sac. I would be apprehensive to certify them unless I knew I would be their only rigger.

Baumchen
I agree with you.
FYI I won't pack any "SAC" Security Air Conical stuff, and won't pack any of the Securities. About 5 yrs ago made that decision.
Old-yes, no toggles is a strike against them, and mfg (at least in US) is no longer available, so they are all orphaned.

A nice Softie or Butler etc that is 21 yrs old? Probably would for a year or two. Condition of course. The mfgs, by putting a retro service life, (even though it is not allowed by faa) are putting a huge share of liability, heck, maybe all of it on the field rigger.

I doubt any of them will refrain from the "weasel wording". It seems to be working for them.

dpreguy

Baumchen
I agree with you.
FYI I won't pack any "SAC" Security Air Conical stuff, and won't pack any of the Securities. About 5 yrs ago made that decision.
Old-yes, no toggles is a strike against them, and mfg (at least in US) is no longer available, so they are all orphaned.

A nice Softie or Butler etc that is 21 yrs old? Probably would for a year or two. Condition of course. The mfgs, by putting a retro service life, (even though it is not allowed by faa) are putting a huge share of liability, heck, maybe all of it on the field rigger.

I doubt any of them will refrain from the "weasel wording". It seems to be working for them.

They can put all the liability on me if they want. Sue me. You'll get some medical bills, half a border collie, and nice sewing machine. I will rebuild.

Hi Im looking for more info of "shelf life" parameters / storage conditions of parachute fabrics/webbings/lines other than the 3,5 years (MIL-DTL-6645J ), Im trying to learn & understand where that 3,5 years come from. I found very little information on degradation over time for raw materials on the shelf. On the military side, the government allows for shelf life of raw materials of 3 years or 5 years depending on the contract. On the civilian side there is no reference to shelf life on the regulations.

The degradation of Nylon or other synthetic fibers is insignificant when sitting in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

I know every manufacturer specifies their own "service life" depending on their experience and preference.

Any info would be appreciated

Nico