rock051990

Advice needed from riggers and knowledgeable divers

Skydiving friends....Need some advise. Bought what i believe to be an amazing rig from someone on dz.com Fairly new, amazing condition, and exactly what i was looking for. The person described themselves as about my size, if not slightly larger. Got the rig, and the harness is slightly too tight around my shoulders (stabilizers). My question is....is having alterations done to the container possible and worth it, or am i a complete idiot and better off selling this and finding something that fits me better? I absolutely love everything about this rig, but it would be super uncomfortable and probably limit my movement.

"slightly too tight in the shoulders" might not be that big a deal, too. Mine is, too (also bought it used). I've been jumping it for 12 years and 1200 jumps. Loosen the leg straps a little, and see how it feels then.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

mcordell

Worst case scenario you can have the entire harness replaced by a master rigger.

Changing the harness size would not change the yoke width. Changing the yoke width usually involves sending the rig back to the manufacturer, along with a check for about $3000, and waiting for several weeks or months. On the plus side, you don't have to send the rig to the original manufacturer, you can choose the color of the new yoke, and the harness is likely to be a better fit, too.

Mark

mark

***Worst case scenario you can have the entire harness replaced by a master rigger.

Changing the harness size would not change the yoke width. Changing the yoke width usually involves sending the rig back to the manufacturer, along with a check for about $3000, and waiting for several weeks or months. On the plus side, you don't have to send the rig to the original manufacturer, you can choose the color of the new yoke, and the harness is likely to be a better fit, too.

Mark

When he said the harness was too tight around his shoulders, I took that to mean front to back it's too tight. That would be corrected by replacing the harness to adjust the MLW length and give more room in the harness. I guess that's an assumption based on his wording. Since he didn't say the container was too narrow at the shoulders and specified the harness it seemed logical. That being said, he also referred to it as the stabilizers so I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

To the OP: be more specific as to how it is too tight and pictures wouldn't hurt.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Here's my 2 cents. If you have a neck like a tree trunk, it's possible the yoke it too narrow for you. If that is the case, there is nothing to be done about it. A newer container can be very stiff, but often after time wearing it the pack job and the shoulder area will start to conform to your body, to a point. It's sort of a "breaking in process". Do 10 or so jumps and then see how it feels. Also, it may feel uncomfortable walking around your house, or even at the DZ walking to the plane, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will limit your movement. On the ground it hangs off your shoulders, in freefall it has no weight at all, and under canopy the harness supports your weight and you don't feel it at all. Then you land and the weight of the canopy is no longer in the container, so the fit changes again. There is a good chance the rig will work out just fine.

Remember though, it's just my 2 cents, no guarantees.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Most newbies think a rig that fits them is too tight. Because the student gear they've been wearing is often too big. Get in front of an EXPERIENCED rigger or gear dealer and let them offer an opinion. If it doesn't have canopies in it you also don't know how it will fit when packed. Also hang in the harness and see where your out. And I'm not assuming what you mean by "stabilizer". Not a term used for H/C parts.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hee!
Hee!
That's like a tandem student complaining that "leg straps are too tight" immediately after opening.
Try explaining that all their weight is resting on those those leg straps!
Hee!
Hee!

Seriously, you will only get a accurate answer when you wear the harness in front of a. Master Rigger.

Sorry for the incorrect use of the term "stabilizers". Definitely used out of context. Spoke with a very knowledgeable friend and master rigger. Laterals are too short, causing my handles to be pulled back and the rig to feel tight around my chest/shoulders. Not a hard or expensive fix. Thanks for all the help.