councilman24

Time for me to learn something new

Bought an old military rigger kit. But it has a tool I don't recognize or know the use of. Haven't walked downstairs to look at Poynter's but I don't remember seeing it.

Time for me to learn something new.

Any help? End has a shallow hole but not big enough for a pin.

I can imagine uses but quite make sense.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

All reasonable thoughts but kit includes temporary pins. And a ripcord pin does not fit in the end. This kit is NOT designed for loops but for cones. And includes the tool used for closing a Switlik Safety Chute that doesn't use pins and cones because Leslie Irvin's 1920's patents were still in effect. In other words kit is designed for pre world war II rigging.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

All reasonable thoughts but kit includes temporary pins. And a ripcord pin does not fit in the end. This kit is NOT designed for loops but for cones. And includes the tool used for closing a Switlik Safety Chute that doesn't use pins and cones because Leslie Irvin's 1920's patents were still in effect. In other words kit is designed for pre world war II rigging.;)

That's pretty interesting. The handle appears to be a crank, but so far haven't found what it would be used for in rigging.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Think I have it. Poynter's shows a tool that has a 0.081" hole in the end for installing the spring on an Air Force back emergency rig. Works like a GQ Security 350 with the loops and ripcord pins installed before packing, the rig closed with temp pins and the the S hooks from the spring that connects the loops installed. You replace the temp pins with the tool (this tool?), then put the end of the s hook in the hole in the end and withdraw it through the loops. I've packed lots of Security rigs but never back a military rig that used the spring. The tool in Poynter's is less elegant but this could serve the same purpose. The bend allows your knuckles to clear.

Unless someone else has another idea?

I was wrong when I said the kit was for cones and pins,:$ It also has the lever for closing the Switlik Saf T chute that I mentioned before. That's why I bought it but came with a nice polished line separator, polished long and short bars, line hook, temp pins, an end tab puller in a roll up case.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

As I recall the tool is for putting pins into cones, at least I've used it for that (many years ago). Use the tool to push out the temp pin, then put the end of the ripcord pin against the tool and push it back out with the pin.

Might consider asking Handsome Dave DeWolfe, I'm sure he's got a box full of them somewhere.

Benny
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.