IHazySky

Singer 132K6 Setup...

Yeah you have the 2 problems that i listed earlier.

Your position bracket doesn't match your bobbin case, you have too much rotational movement. To fix this you would need either a different position bracket or a different bobbin case.

Again the position bracket doesn't constrain the axial movement of the bobbin case, this is the job of the bobbin case retainer.
On mine the case never contacts the position bracket in the axial direction (because it can't travel that far because the bobbin case retainer won't let it).
I could remove my position bracket entirely and the axial movement of the case would not change when pushing the case to the left.

I tested this out by slipping a piece of paper in between the case and position bracket (see paper.jpg). With the case pushed to the left with a screw driver i can freely move the paper in and out. If i unlock the bobbin case retainer then and only then the bobbin case makes contact with the position bracket and traps the paper.

So i'm not sure what is going on with your bobbin case retainer, does it at least look like mine? (see left side view.jpg). It would help if you took some pics of your bobbin case retainer.

Regardless i think you will need 2 parts at least.

That looks like much more movement than on mine. Nearly twice as much in the axial direction, and also considerably more rotationally. On mine the needle never gets closer than a full needle thickness away from the edge of the opening. The hook and bracket may very well be not compatible with the b/c, since cooperf1 has had a similar experience. But like he just said, try to move the position bracket toward you. The hook should have a part number on the outside easy to see. Does it?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

good morning. I have had sufficient coffee and am back on this. I have removed all the parts from the lower half of this machine; hook, position bracket, bobbin case, retaining arm and assembly.

gowlerk- I messed with the position bracket,moving it fore and aft, but this will not solve the rotational movement problem. the needle will strike either side of the bobbin case, depending on which position the position bracket is in. there is too much movement of the case in the bracket to constrain the opening within operating range.

I have found the hook SN, but is quite difficult to read. its on the inside near the hole the shaft is in. Working on that.

So the axial movement may be caused by the hook and bobbin case compatibility. if i hold the case in with my fingers, the top of the case can still move out of the hook... It seems like the hooks too big to retain the case inside. Does the case 'snap in' to the hook somehow, or is it just the flat edge that holds it in there....

the bobbin case retainer is slammed to the right, so much so the point of the hook is catching it on the way around. the axial movement has to be coming from the bobbin case and hook. if case is in hook, you can move it around a little bit, so i think this is what's going on... the 90deg edge of the hook that holds the case in is not retaining the case due to the fact the case is too small...

So.... what parts should I order to ensure it will run?

1. New hook assembly (bobbin case and hook)
2. New position bracket

man, that's not gonna be cheap, but if that makes it run, it may be worth it.

How can I make sure to get the correct bracket/hook assembly?

If i bought a refurb machine, should I call the person who sold it to me and ask them what's up with the fact this machine was not in operating condition, or is this normal...?

Thanks

Ian

I'm on the road now, won't be able to check anything for the next week. But there seems to be a hook assembly including b/c available. Also a "hook ring" that is a sub assembly is out there. Perhaps yours has been changed. The original hook has a Simanco part number on the outside of it. It would sure help if there was an adjusters manual available, but I have not found one. If you are lucky, perhaps MEL will see this thread Monday and be able to help. He is the most knowledgeable sewing machine guy on this forum.

The two different sized b/c that cooperf1 have may be designed for sewing with different sized threads. Perhaps the smaller one allows for larger thread to clear. Also you may need to follow up with the contact at Keystone that Jerry gave you. Good luck.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Nice.
I kind of went the same route, wasn't 100% sure what i needed so just bought parts. Although nothing i had worked as intended, i ended up with enough parts that i was able to cobble something functional together.
How much was the order?
Let us know how it goes.

Hazy,
It looks like the positioning finger has been modified. In other words some one has ground the opening bigger on the backside of the slot.

The purpose of the positioning finger it to keep the bobbin case from rotating with the hook. it also has to allow clearance for the thread to pass when the top thread pulls the bobbin thread up. The clearance needed is dictated by the size of thread being used.

In this case, someone most have been trying to sew with rope! ;)

If you replace just the position finger, I think all will be good.

The center of the slot for the needle needs to be set at 11:30 to allow for needle bend from thread tension. The needle always bends toward the direction of the feed and never to the front.

This also could be the reason for the modification in the first place. If the person before you had to much thread tension, the needle could have been striking the back of the slot.
Just a guess though.

MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I can't see bobbin retainer. It seems that you have missing part problem. Check part no 103013 in parts book. http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/132K6_10_12.pdf
Rotational (movement) distance between positioning finger (bracket) and case seem good to me. You need enough space for threads with knot on them. If it's too narrow you will have breaking threads problem.
IHazySky

Please check this out.

http://youtu.be/8DpORXp4lIE

This is what I am dealing with. Not sure that much movement is normal. The bobbin case retaining arm is slammed all the way to the right, so much that the hook is hitting the arm on the way around. The position bracket seems to be the wrong size, as I can tilt the bobbin case away from the hook. This is what is causing the movement axially. The rotational movement cannot be fixed by using the position bracket, as you can try to slide it back or forth, and the needle will strike the other side. I don't think the axial movement should be happening, and the rotational movement should be restrained more by the p. bracket. I think its too wide and too far from the bobbin case, which is making all this movement possible.

Please help.

I really appreciate everyone's help, and the time your taking to get these photos, ect. As I am sure you all know, machines can get frustrating quickly.

Ian
Moonlight Rigging

Where does that part go?

It is the face plate of the bobbin assembly.

Part #103005 is a complete bobbin assembly number. The rest of the parts on that template make up that assembly.

It has nothing to do with your current machine issue BTW.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Success!

New hook, bobbin case and position finger installed. needle bar height set, hook timed. sewed the full bobbin with no skipped stitches, no thread issues. Man, can I get to building stuff now? ;)
gotta clean up all the oil and tools, and get to work.

Thanks a ton for your help here, that was a bit frustrating.

So... anyone want to talk about harness design and construction?
I have only build like 3, and I know nothing.

Ian