IHazySky

Singer 132K6 Setup...

I am having issues with the bobbin/hook case moving around too much. The needle is hitting it.

I had someone fix it and now its doing it again...

it all started when i removed the bobbin case to switch bobbins...

there is something going on with the bobbin case hook area alignment that I am not understanding

Thanks-
Ian

Also, How high can you get the foot to clear? I was playing around there, but I want it to go higher:)

Anyone who has modified a Pfaff 238 for high lift foot, please enlighten me. It seems I need to put a longer bar on there to get it any more clearance...

Thanks-

I am trying to get this stuff figured out. One day ;)

Hi Ian,

How high can you get the foot to clear?

The specs for the 132K6 say 1/2" but I can only get mine about 3/8". To get the highest foot lift have the needle stop just before it enters the presser foot. For some reason, the mechanics of the machine make this position the best for the highest foot lift.

Give a call to Keystone Sewing - 215-922-6900

http://www.keysew.com/

Or email Gregg O'Neill at: [email protected]

Jerry Baumchen

PS) For Pfaff 238 info, contact Kelly Farrington at Velocity Sports Equipment ( he has a number of them ) - http://www.velocityrigs.com/

I have two 238's. I increased the foot clearance on one years ago but can't explain it without looking. Contact me at some point and we can try to sort it on the phone. It still isn't as good at sewing the nose of a toggle as my viking home machine from the 50's.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have a 132k6 and had something similar. I bought this machine refurbished a few years ago and it came with what looked like a new hook (i'm sure a chinese replica).
I was fighting what seemed to be variable tensions, broken threads, occasionally needle hitting something solid and stopping the machine...
Finally i bought a new hook on ebay for about $300.
This did not fix the problem because the parts didn't fit quite right either (although the new hook dimensions were different than the previous hook).
So i got angry and took my dremel to various parts and ended up using some parts from the previous hook assembly and some from the new one. I removed a lot of material from the bobbin case with the dremel for the needle to clear.
It works nicely now.

Oh yeah on the bobbin case rotation.
My two different bobbin cases have different channel widths and thus two different clearances to the C shaped piece that prevents rotation of the case.
The one i bought off of ebay recently (which said it was for a 132k6) was the wider one that didn't work.
I'm sure there are various sizes of the C shaped locator piece as well.
Attached are pictures of my two different cases, the one that i use is the 0.63" wide one, the 0.7" wide one doesn't leave enough clearance for the thread if i remember correctly.
I would guess the locator is about 0.72" wide.

nice... i just finished my second rig which has about 5 jumps on it now.
I recommend spending the time to get your machine sewing perfectly before sewing your rig. the stitching on my first rig doesn't look as nice because my 132k6 was jacked up at the time.

The "C shaped locator" piece i was referring to is actually called the "Position bracket" part number 97837: https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/CS1344-POSITION-BRACKET-SEIKO

I would assume the position bracket is cheaper than the bobbin case, so i'd look into trying to find a position bracket that will fit if i were you. However in my case the 0.63" wide bobbin case's opening in the top that allows the needle to enter was too small (needle was contacting the case) so i had to port it out. The 0.7" wide bobbin case had a large opening in the top so plenty of needle clearance, but it was too wide for the position bracket that is in my machine.

Ok. I am at home now. Are you talking about taking material out of the hole in the bobbin case where the needle goes thru to make it larger? Then this issue is caused by incompatible bobbin cases and the C locator part? or is the hole just too small? Which size is designed to go in the machine, the .7 or .6... ?

Ahh.

:)

If one was to get the position bracket and the bobbin case assembly, would that be a sure fix? Is there a chance the hook is not compatible?

Looking at the position bracket... There is TONS of room there. the bobbin is moving both on the x and y axis. The thread is catching on the bobbin case (bottom) when it moves out of its position. The needle is striking the case right in the groove there the thread comes out, and it causes the case to move along the y axis (with the axle the hook is bolted on as the x axis)

I'd like to remedy this permanently, so I am wondering if ordering this:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/103118-BOBBIN-CASE-SINGER-132K-KOBAN

and this:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/CS1344-POSITION-BRACKET-SEIKO

will solve these problems. I am not a fan of fighting with machines. I thought I had it adjusted incorrectly for the last several months. Now that I realize its a parts incompatibility, I just want to make sure i get the correct parts, and FIX this beast.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I have no idea what the original parts look like, a lot of the parts in my machine look new so i'm sure they are not originals (the position bracket, hook, and bobbin case look new).
In the attached picture the case that i use is on the right, you can see where i had to make the hole larger in the direction toward the bottom of the picture, and also towards the right in the picture. The biggest problem was that the hole wasn't wide enough (up and down directions in the picture) which caused the needle to make contact. The hole is tapered, so the needle would ride the bottom surface and bend the needle throughout its stroke. I could cause the needle to miss the hole entirely if i was pulling on the fabric slightly toward the right which would make a bad noise and stop the machine, sometimes necessitating needle replacement.
I would estimate i took 0.10" off on the right side, and probably 0.05"-0.08" off the bottom.

Wait, the bobbin case is moving both axially and radially?
I'm no sewing machine expert, but the bobbin case should be held securely in the radial direction by the hook (103019):
https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/103019-HOOK-and-BASE-ONLY-SINGER-132K-KOBAN
and in the axial direction by the "bobbin case retainer" and "retainer spring":
https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/1347-BOBBIN-CASE-RETAINER-SEIKO_SINGER
https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/1350-RETAINER-SPRING-WITH-PIN-SEIKO
It is the position bracket that prevents the case from spinning about its axis inside the hook.

When you put the case in the hook and then lock it in place with the bobbin case retainer, it should only be able to be jiggled around a little bit (just enough for the thread to loop around it).
5 cord is about 0.030" so you probably don't want much more clearance than that radially. Axially there should be no clearance because the retainer spring always maintains pressure on the case forcing it into the hook, the spring allows for the top thread to pass by however... which i also had to take my dremel to because the thread was getting hung up on a sharp corner of the contact pad of the spring.

how much slop is there on your machine?

That might be fine. It all depends on how it fits with the other parts, which is difficult to get a picture of.
Before getting the needle into the equation, i'd start off making sure the case is held securely in the hook, then compare your case to the position bracket, you should have about 0.030" clearance but not much more (it looks like in the picture the clearance could be good?).

I lied, i have 0.100" clearance between the position bracket and bobbin case.

That is an original b/c, complete with Simanco part #. If the b/c is original it is unlikely that the hook or the position bracket are not as well. Take a look for a part number on the hook. Also, if the needle is striking the b/c it will be leaving a mark. Could you post a picture of the needle strike damage? That may help figuring out what your problem is. Lastly, is there any chance that the screws holding the hook to it's shaft have been left loose?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

there is tons of room in the position bracket. its allowing the bobbin case to move in BOTH directions too much! The retaining arm thing is adjusted all the way to the right to hold the bobbin case, but the top of the bobbin case can move perpendicular to the axle cause it seems way too big... Photos...

How does this compare to you machine??

Ian

I took some pics of mine. I didn't have the time to set up the lighting properly, but it should give you an idea. The first one shows the b/c pushed all the way in and rotated to the max to show the clearance from the bracket. The second one shows the hook to needle relationship as the point of the hook passes the needle. At no time can I get the needle to touch the bobbin case opening no matter which way I rotate it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I can't read the text in your picture, but it looks like you have two issues...

BOBBIN CASE RETAINER
The position bracket does not hold the case in the hook housing, its sole purpose (as far as i know) is to prevent axial rotation of the case inside the hook housing.
You say that the bobbin case retainer is adjusted all the way to the right, but it looks like it isn't doing its job (looks like the case has large axial movement between your two pictures). See my pictures, this may be obvious but the unlocked position allows for installation/removal of the case. In the locked position the bobbin case should be fully seated in the hook housing. By hand i can only move the case axially about 0.03" then it hits the bobbin case retainer arm. Do you have a retainer spring on the bobbin case retainer? As far as i know the bobbin case retainer's sole purpose it to keep the case seated in the hook housing (pushed to the right).

POSITION BRACKET
How much clearance would you say you have between the case and the position bracket? The position bracket can be adjusted fore/aft a little bit which might help with needle clearance (note the slot that the mounting screw goes through). I am proof that there are different dimension parts out there though, so you may have incompatible parts. If you can measure your parts i'll tear mine apart and measure the width and/or clearance of my position bracket. The clearance direction i'm talking about is in the fore/aft direction.

The amount of clearance is not adjustable, but the location of it is. The hole that the screw goes through is slotted. If the needle is striking the rear of the opening, move the bracket further back.

Please check this out.

http://youtu.be/8DpORXp4lIE

This is what I am dealing with. Not sure that much movement is normal. The bobbin case retaining arm is slammed all the way to the right, so much that the hook is hitting the arm on the way around. The position bracket seems to be the wrong size, as I can tilt the bobbin case away from the hook. This is what is causing the movement axially. The rotational movement cannot be fixed by using the position bracket, as you can try to slide it back or forth, and the needle will strike the other side. I don't think the axial movement should be happening, and the rotational movement should be restrained more by the p. bracket. I think its too wide and too far from the bobbin case, which is making all this movement possible.

Please help.

I really appreciate everyone's help, and the time your taking to get these photos, ect. As I am sure you all know, machines can get frustrating quickly.

Ian
Moonlight Rigging