IHazySky

Snap tools

Need to get a tool for installing snaps. I don't know shit about snaps, so what do I need to know?

Standard types, sizes used?
Best tools.

I need to repair some snap toggles.
I need to make some snap cuffs and pockets for jumpsuits.
I am needing to invest in a proper snap setup...
Looking for heavy duty, no BS tools. I only want to buy it once, but don't need fancy.

Thanks-
Ian

you can get good results with even the cheap tools. the skill of the operator is the key. DONT try and set them with just one whack.it takes several smaller hits to properly set snaps.if the "floor" of the socket/stud is bent during the setting process , you have overset the piece, it will fail . best result is for the "floor " of the socket/stud to be flat.also, test to see if you can rotate the pieces after setting, if you can , then they are NOT set, you must set them some more. but dont overdo it

Hi Ian,

Looking for heavy duty, no BS tools. I only want to buy it once, but don't need fancy.

Having tried many tools over the years, this guy is the best bang for the buck; see attached photo.

I bought it at a local upholstery supply shop; around $135.

On it, it says:

Hoover Prod

San Jacinto, CA

And for snaps:

Tracey Bolme | Customer Service Representative

Scovill Fasteners, Inc.
1802 Scovill Drive
Clarkesville, Georgia 30523 |
Office (888) 285-4628 | Fax (706) 754-4000
E-Mail: [email protected]

Hope this helps,

Jerry Baumchen

And be cognizant of the two types of snap sockets.
There are "regular" sockets and "hard action" sockets.
Obviously, "hard action "sockets are much harder to pull open. Their common application is to attach a headsail to the forestay on a smaller boat, and other applications where a more secure snap junction is desired.. Be specific when you buy in bulk. They look exactly alike, so buy wisely for your needs. Also, sockets come in different lengths. (as do eyelets), so once again, buy the correct length ones to accommodate the thickness of the material. The studs are always the same. No diff.

I've crushed a lot of snaps in my short time. The tool is a big part. The one Jerry showed looks like a winner. In this day and age though, and I've used these too, on wingsuits ...... Rare Earth Magnet applications where they can be used. Experiment.
Life is short ... jump often.