gunsmokex

Vector II w/ Type 17 risers

I'm looking into buying my first rig and came across a great deal on an old '94 Vector II container. Doing my research on this rig I found out that it has small 3 ring risers (Type 17).

I found the old Vector II manual and according to a product recall having Type 17 risers with an RSL is NOT recommended in fact it says in the product recall/service bulletin that it should not be jumped with the RSL attached and that the Type 17's should be replaced with Type 8 Risers.

The manual can be found here for the Vector II container http://parachutemanuals.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=39&func=startdown&id=139 and the product recall service bulletin is on page 73.

Maybe I'm just being overly careful but after reading that I'm just a little leary on buying the container. I only weigh 155 so my exit weight would be around 175 lbs but I do want an RSL. Perhaps my best option would be to just have the Type 8 risers put onto the container?

I was thinking of shipping it directly to United Parachute Technologies even though he is a rigger as an outside opinion and they could do any work on it that would be needed.

My question is that is it even worth it? I mean should I invest this much time and money on an old rig that needs new risers to get into compliance. Or should I just keep looking?

I was originally looking at complete rigs with 170 main/reserve but then came across this deal. Limitation is that the container is in Europe.

What are your opinions?

i have an old vector2 and always wondered why it had 2 left risers...or maybe 2 right ones... either way my line stows were on the same side if u get wat i mean....im guessing someone just used 2 of whatever side risers didnt have the rsl after the recall....i would say dont be a pussy and worry about having an rsl but i wont open that can of worms haha
FTMC

gunsmokex

I'm looking into buying my first rig and came across a great deal on an old '94 Vector II container. Doing my research on this rig I found out that it has small 3 ring risers (Type 17).

I found the old Vector II manual and according to a product recall having Type 17 risers with an RSL is NOT recommended in fact it says in the product recall/service bulletin that it should not be jumped with the RSL attached and that the Type 17's should be replaced with Type 8 Risers.

The manual can be found here for the Vector II container http://parachutemanuals.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=39&func=startdown&id=139 and the product recall service bulletin is on page 73.

Maybe I'm just being overly careful but after reading that I'm just a little leary on buying the container. I only weigh 155 so my exit weight would be around 175 lbs but I do want an RSL. Perhaps my best option would be to just have the Type 8 risers put onto the container?

I was thinking of shipping it directly to United Parachute Technologies even though he is a rigger as an outside opinion and they could do any work on it that would be needed.

My question is that is it even worth it? I mean should I invest this much time and money on an old rig that needs new risers to get into compliance. Or should I just keep looking?

I was originally looking at complete rigs with 170 main/reserve but then came across this deal. Limitation is that the container is in Europe.

What are your opinions?

I am not a rigger, but I think this is the issue that forced manufacturers to reinforce Type 17 risers. My guess is that you can buy that container and a new set of risers a be fine with it.

Just an extra word of caution: old gear might not be freefly friendly, in case you are into that.

If the container is in great shape and the price is right, new risers from the factory can be had for about $150, which is a pretty cheap investment to get an old rig back into the air.

And yes, an independent rigger should inspect it prior to purchase. But unless the seller is in the US, it is not likely worth the cost to send it to the factory for inspection.
"I love when humans fly,"

gunsmokex

Yes the bulletin is from May of 1992, it took me a while to find the manual for the Vector II.

I don't plan on freeflying for now so that's not really an issue.

For those of you that do own a Vector II though, how comfortable or uncomfortable of rig is it?

my old vector2 that i bought second hand is more comfortable then my new micron that was made for my me and yes im being serious....as long as its suits someone similar to u i wouldn't worry about comfort etc it should be fine
FTMC

First of all well done. Great to see someone properly researching gear and looking into service bulletins.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a 25 year old harness. You depend on it to keep you alive. Look for something newer. Harnesses from around 2000 onwards have most of the newer safety features.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

It's hard to know if the container is good without seeing it. But there is no reason to think that it's age makes it unsafe. I know and service lots of rigs older than that.

The earliest type 17 risers were found to be susceptible to breaking on opening. If the RSL side riser broke, it would result in a nasty main/reserve entanglement. Very bad. That problem was solved long ago by adding reinforcement to the risers. A rigger, especially an older rigger, will know what to look for.

It's not usually worth shipping old stuff like this all the way from Europe. There are plenty of old V2s in America for you to choose from. The price depends on the condition and if all the parts are included. People often buy containers that are missing handles, or d-bags, or risers, or p/c only to find that the great deal they got needs 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth of parts. Keep looking, and keep researching. I see you are in Sioux Falls. Find the local rigger from Luverne and become his/her new best friend. That's the best way to get help finding used gear. I love the fact that you are looking this stuff up and asking questions.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Gunsmokex
It is a 21 year old uncomfortable rig. I have one, same year, and my second objection is that the harness kept falling off my shoulders. The "Y" on the yoke design was too wide. I am a master rigger, so I modified mine, but when you get it try it on and see if that's the case for you.
My opinion:
1. It is uncomfortable
2. "Y" /yoke is too wide so it keeps slipping off, or almost off, your shoulders.
In short, I wouldn't buy it

muff528

My Type 17 risers have a red reinforcement tape. IIRC, this was the fix. The tape was red for quick ID of the upgraded rises. My Vector II dating from '92 came new with these risers.

Just for accuracy -- my rig DOM was 1993. Also, here's a pic of the reinforced riser for comparison.

I currently jump a 1992 vector 2 with Type 17 risers (no RSL). I find it to be quite comfortable, probably the 2nd most comfortable out of the 13 different rigs I've tried. It's snug, stays where it should, and doesn't float around during freeflying (Yes I know it's not FF friendly without a couple mods; no lectures req'd. :P My profile pic shows one of the reasons why this rig isn't FF friendly if you don't make mods to it; the tuck tab will fly open and expose your pin.)

I know newer rigs have better padding in the leg straps, but as far as older rigs go, I'm happy with mine. Not a lot of extra chest strap, though, so if you're barrel-chested or you have silicone you may wanna take this into consideration.

Thanks for all of your opinions. I went ahead and bought it, should be here soon. The seller is a rigger himself so I know he wouldn't ruin his reputation based on selling an old container. That and my rigger will do an inspection to make sure its airworthy, if its not it will go back.

I did make sure that all of the necessary parts are included and it does include the reinforced risers. With shipping included it was $270.

Hopefully it will fit decent, I'm not too overly worred as I know it will much more comfortable than the rental rigs I use now. That and the seller is virtually the same exact size as me.

Now I just have to find a decent used 170 main and reserve and an AAD and I'll be all set!

Fuck

I know newer rigs have better padding in the leg straps,

As an aside:
Vector II's and old Vector III's had crappy foam that goes 'flat' after a while. One can slip new foam between the leg straps and leg covers. Heavy duty but thin closed-cell camping mat foam. There are tricks to sliding the skinny piece of foam in. A rigger would usually do it as on many rigs one has to remove and resew a nonstructural zigzag stitch to get the foam in. I've done that for a bunch of customers.

Back in 1993, the Parachute Industry Association published a standard to reinforcing Type 17 risers. 3-Ring Inc. published precise standards for making reinforced Type 17 risers in 1998. Main risers are high-wear items that last maybe a thousand jumps, so the oldest risers still in service should be less than 17 years old (made in 1998). If they lack the Type 3 tape reinforcement: replace them.

Now I just have to find a decent used 170 main and reserve and an AAD and I'll be all set!

If you're looking for a new AAD - I sell brand new Vigils (built in the last 2 months) for $1250 which includes shipping.

You can ask your friends about me - I'm in Des Moines and jumped with the South Dakota Skydivers for 10 years before they moved to Luverne.

Sandy Grillet
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

pchapman

***I know newer rigs have better padding in the leg straps,

As an aside:
Vector II's and old Vector III's had crappy foam that goes 'flat' after a while. One can slip new foam between the leg straps and leg covers. Heavy duty but thin closed-cell camping mat foam. There are tricks to sliding the skinny piece of foam in. A rigger would usually do it as on many rigs one has to remove and resew a nonstructural zigzag stitch to get the foam in. I've done that for a bunch of customers.

Thanks chapman I will definitely check on this, it finally arrived in the mail yesterday! Fits great but looks decent it'll be need some new velcro in a few spots and the risers look a little worn with no RSL so I'll probably just get new.