EChen22

Alti-2 Altimaster Galaxy Needle

Is this fixable?

Have an Alti-2 Altimaster Galaxy (purchased used) and have put about 200 jumps on it with no issues. Noticed the other day, on the ground thankfully, that the needle is just wiggling around loose. Took it up in the plane to see what it would do, and nothing.

Has this happened to anyone and is it repairable? If so, is it worth the cost or would it be easier to just get a new one?

Thanks in advance!
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

Don't they still have some sort of fixed-cost repair service?

(Or presumably they'll tell you that it isn't worth trying to fix, after having a look.)

Maybe 5 years back I sent them my old trusted SSI alti (ancestor to the Alti-2 line) that was 15+ years old, that was starting to stick, and they fixed it up. They did a good job at a reasonable price.

Whether the cost is worth it for an old alti is uncertain and you'll have to do the estimating. My old one started losing accuracy after another 5 years so who knows how much life each mechanical alti might have. It is sure to vary.

The only way to know is to send it to their authorized repair facility, and let them look at it.

I ruined an Altimaster once when I was unscrewing the lens to replace it, and it slipped and knocked the needle off. Unrepairable. But that was because the stem upon which the needle was mounted was broken off. Yours might be different. Send it in. You have little to lose (postage), and much to gain (saving the cost of a new one).

This is the Alti-2 repair info page.

http://www.alti-2.com/content.php?155-Repair-Warranty

If for some reason it is not repairable, they will probably offer you a trade in price on something new. They are like most companies in the industry, very easy to deal with. And very interested in keeping customers happy.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.