Safelandings

Can't pull slider over riser!

I just received my new NeXgen and a Pilot 188. During ordering I was talking to the sales person at ChutingStar about different options for holding the slide down once I pull it down the risers. But the issue is it doesn't fit down any further then just below the slinks. I emailed ChutingStar about this and asked if there are different size grommets. She said no there isn't, that there are all a standard size and I just needed to pull them hard to get it down. That's not going to happen. If I really pull I can get it to the toggles and there's no way it going over them especially when stowed. Any ideas or opinions on this.

Are you trying this on the ground? Or in the air with tension on the risers? New parts are stiff, and many sliders barely go over toggles, or even front riser dive loops on some risers. You may have to carefully wiggle the slider past the toggles for the first little while. All the time making sure you don't pop the toggle, or fly into another jumper of course.

That's why many people don't bother. But apparently you, like me, want the slider down. Some people release the brakes first. There is a big argument about this, and I'm not getting it to that, no matter who jumps in. Since it's a pilot, I am assuming it has Aerodyne softlinks, so there should be no problem there. Likely you just need to be careful and patient.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The risers will soften with use, and eventually it will get easier to pull the slider down.

You might also check with the manufacturer to see if it would be okay to wash the risers in hot water, and if so, how and with what precautions.

Mark

I can't think of a reason someone with under a hundred jumps on a Pilot 188 would want or need to pull their slider down other than being kewl.:S At your level you need to be sure your not running into someone and that your going.to land where you want, not worrying about your slider. If you do work on pulling it down wait until your alone.in the sky or at.least make absolutely sure you know where everyone else on the load is.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I took Brian Germain's canopy coarse last summer.understood that it would not obstruct my view, will flatten the canopy a bit more, makes you more a part of the suspension of the canopy rather then hanging below the "triangle" now your inside the triangle, it reduces the chance slightly of getting line twists, you get more lift and performance out of the outer ends of the wing. I completely understand that I would need to watch for other canopies, that a given! Just trying to get the most out of my canopy.

Safelandings

I guess if the risers were used for a while they would get softer and might make it easier. I haven't jumped it yet. I hope the whole rig softens up quickly. It stiff as hell. And I'm still practicing packing. Can't get that slippery shit in the bag.

Thanks for your thoughts guys

There is your problem right there. You are trying to pull a slider down a set of risers that's I am betting are not under anywhere near the load they would be if you had 100+lbs of stupid hanging under them.

Safelandings

I took Brian Germain's canopy coarse last summer.understood that it would not obstruct my view, will flatten the canopy a bit more, makes you more a part of the suspension of the canopy rather then hanging below the "triangle" now your inside the triangle, it reduces the chance slightly of getting line twists, you get more lift and performance out of the outer ends of the wing. I completely understand that I would need to watch for other canopies, that a given! Just trying to get the most out of my canopy.

At your wingloading on that canopy if you suddenly get thrown into line twist after the canopy has opened fully then you probably should cut it away because something broke. Also, at that wingloading, widening the risers a little bit will make little to no difference in the flight characteristics of your canopy. Think about the distance you are widening the risers by lowering the slider. Consider that distance in inches or millimeters. Now consider the span of your canopy in the same unit of measurement. Figure up a percentage of the overall canopy span that you are widening the risers and you will see the larger your canopy, the less of an effect you will get. Pulling your slider down will have a noticeable effect in a very small, highly loaded canopy which you aren't ready to jump. On a larger canopy at a light wingloading it's more an issue of looking like one of the cool kids. I think the things you learned at the canopy course are great information as you progress through the sport, however not all of it applies to you at this experience level.

ETA: don't take that personally. Everyone starts at the same place and it takes time to get experience. If you want to pull your slider down then go for it, just understand your gear and what it will and won't do. As long as you are being safe and aware it doesn't matter.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

understood that it would not obstruct my view

And I would also question this as it blocks a view directly above you which is where your canopy is.

CRW jumpers who like to have good visibility on other jumpers do not pull the slider down.

Brian does a really good job on educating people but obviously not everything applies to everyone.

There is also a type of slider called a "split slider", that comes in two halves; one half on the left risers and one half on the right risers. You connect the two halves together by inserting the loops on one side, into the grommets on the other side, with a draw string. After opening, you just reach up and yank the draw string and the two halves separate. The canopy flattens out, you have visibility, there's no flapping noise. The only drawback is that it takes a minute or two to reconnect the two halves on every pack job.

As far as I know, leaving the slider up can cause line wear. That's reason enough for me to pull it down if I was in your place.

I don't get why people make such a big deal out of the fact that you want to pull your slider down all though you probably won't feel any significal aerodynamical benefits. Pull the thing down and make it a part of your procedure so if you one day start jumping something smaller where it acutually can make a difference, you've already got it under your skin. My humble opinion.

Now do you have anything to cover your slinks or what exactly stops the slider from coming down?

Going over the slinks isn't a problem. It's the riser itself. It seems to be about on 1/8" wider then the grommet hole. At this time I might not bother pulling it down until it will benifit me. Didn't realize that at my canopy size and wing loading I woulndn't benifit from pulling it down right now. It's just that I wanted what I paid for, the ability to pull it down if I choose to. And at this time I can't. The grommets are too small.

If you are talking about only a 1/8th inch difference, realize your risers will become slightly more flexible over time and the slider will likely pull over the risers. Once you are suspended from the risers you may find the slider pulls over them just fine too.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

The risers and toggles are still new material. As they wear, they will be more flexible and squishable, and you will be able to pull the slider down the risers easily. When new, it is still possible, but you will have to fight with it, and it takes more force than you would expect. It is just the nature of the materials used. The grommets are the standard size for the industry. When brand new it can be a struggle to get the grommets over the toggle, and in the air, you need to focus on having a good canopy over your head, and clear airspace. It simply takes time for the stiffness of new materials to break in. You did get what you paid for.
"I love when humans fly,"

In Russia people sometimes do "hammer mod". Put your riser on it's edge(vertically) on a wooden surface and slam it with a wooden or plastic hammer. Not too hard. This would soften them a bit.
I've been there. Just pulled harder and it's all gone in 10-15 jumps.

On my rig, I decided to go ahead and install the bumpers that PD sent along with the slinks. I'm right around where you are in terms of jump numbers and possibly in the same W/L neighbourhood. I gave it some good long thinking sessions, and to me it just seems like the slider moving past the links and toggles presented a greater risk to my own safety than the potential aerodynamic benefit may provide.

Again, I speak only for myself here, but having to mess with the slider more adds another step - and for no real benefit on a canopy of my size. In the future this may very well change but this is where I am for now.