11bjohnny

Wings and pilot

Does anyone currently have a pilot 168 ZPX going into a wings container? If so, what size is the container (W10/W11) and how is the fit?

I am currently ordering a wings and have already ordered the pilot. My intention was to buy the zpx in order to have a container I could use for YEARS to come. I dont see myself going sub 135 ever unless I have a leg amputated or become anorexic.

I called Sunrise before ordering the pilot and explained my intention, asked if the 168 ZPX would fit into the W10 and was told yes. Now with the order being processed sunrise is suggesting the W11.

As they are the manufacturer I am apt to go with their recommendation. But I just want to check that the smaller pack volume of the ZPX doesnt make it squishy in the container.

Thanks in advance

I know this isn't a specific answer to your question but I have two wings containers. One is a W12-3 with a sabre 2 210 in it and the other is a W12-2 with a triathlon 175 in it. Both fit fairly well in the container and neither is "squishy".

I'm not certain how their container sizing system works but I'd say with the difference in the sizes of my mains and both containers being the W12 size, if you go with the W11 I think you will find it fits just fine.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

my pilot 188 zpx fits snug into a container designed to receive a pack volume of 368 min 393 max

the pilot ZP pack volume is 440.

so that's right in the 10 percent smaller than regular ZP. Mind you, it has only about 15 jumps on it and I am not the best packer. I expect to gain a couple cu inches of space over the next dozen jumps.

hope that helps.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

My wings W10 fits a Pulse 170. Its a tight fit for sure, but not impossible in the summer. in the winter, forget about it. its about as maxed out as you can go. i have a OP176 reserve to match too (which is slightly larger than a PDR160)

Get the w11. While low-bulk material is groovy it isn't a miracle worker...especially when you're on the upper end of fit. Particularly if you're going to jam the biggest reserve possible in there. Both are made for a PDR 160 with the w10 135-150 and the 11 at 150-170, iirc.

Jumping with a brick rig sucks. Jumping max, tight reserve and max main may (not definitely but possibly) lead to some interesting results. Those cubic inch charts are a bit of voodoo...sometimes true, sometimes not. Will it fit? Likely. Are there better suited sizes that will be more comfortable? Definitely.

I had a w11 had a pilot 168 in it. It was tight, I didn't keep the 168 in it that long and switched to a pilot 150 and it was a better fit.

Since the ZPX packs about a size smaller the 168 zpx should fit very good in the w11

What size reserve are you putting in it?

If manufacture says w11, then go with that :)