TWPalmer

Backpacking Round The World.. How Do I take my rig?

I'm kind of at an impasse, I'm looking to travel to South America, Australia, Asia and EU later this year and next year. I'm light-packing it (25lbs) and would love to find a way of taking my rig as well. Beyond shipping it to the next DZ (expensive) or renting (scary option in some places) anybody have suggestions backpacking with your rig? If you have other thoughts on international travel with rigs too that would be helpful too. THANKS!

If you pack extra light, you could fit a small-ish rig in a carry-on rollerbag (135 main/143 reserve or smaller) with a few items of clothing (like 2 pairs of socks, underwear, t-shirts and a pair of pants). Add a small daypack as your 2nd item for another set of clothing and electronics/paper/toileteries.

If you need to take more (and I would for a long trip with changing weather) then you'll need to check something in.

Or, just travel, enjoy, rent gear in a couple places, and don't focus on jumping.
Remster

TWPalmer

I'm kind of at an impasse, I'm looking to travel to South America, Australia, Asia and EU later this year and next year. I'm light-packing it (25lbs) and would love to find a way of taking my rig as well. Beyond shipping it to the next DZ (expensive) or renting (scary option in some places) anybody have suggestions backpacking with your rig? If you have other thoughts on international travel with rigs too that would be helpful too. THANKS!

I want to date supermodels, but I also want to keep my beer gut. Any suggestions? :D
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Crowd source? Locate jumpers with quality gear in each location that would be willing to lend/rent to you.

You could know for each drop zone what you are going to jump.

I wouldn't want my rig for backpacking personally. I would rather do any legwork it required to keep it safely at home, and allow packing space for more useful items.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I moved to Chile a year and a half ago and brought my rig with me. As I've traveled around Chile I haven't brought my rig to the various places that have had drop zones simply because it was cumbersome and I was concerned with it getting stolen, to be perfectly honest. Especially if you are visiting countries where theft is common and you are taking your bag and putting it in the luggage compartment under the bus, etc. You could certainly bring it along, but careful. Many countries, theft is bad even with a crappy camera or your wallet.

Cheers,
Travis