Andy9o8

Barrel roll during track?

I think it makes more sense for everybody
to watch where they are going.

I agree! Besides, there are better ways to see what is over you

How do you see above you without looking above you?

with a wide angle wrist mirror. It is safer .

Really... so you're going to put that wide angle mirror in front of you during your track to look above you? Things are closer than they appear using a wide angle mirror. That means they need to be rather close to even be seen in that mirror.

That also means you're not seeing what's below you while you attempt to focus.

It's not safer.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I think it makes more sense for everybody
to watch where they are going.

I agree! Besides, there are better ways to see what is over you

Really... so you're going to put that wide angle mirror in front of you during your track to look above you? Things are closer than they appear using a wide angle mirror. That means they need to be rather close to even be seen in that mirror.

That also means you're not seeing what's below you while you attempt to focus.

It's not safer.

It is like using your rear-view mirrors when you are driving. If you stare at them you crash.

If you can see your altimeter you can use your wrist mirror. They are not recommended for people with visual accommodation problems. It is up to you.
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

>For that matter I recall seeing a video from the 400 way, you have
>to look close to see it, but every single skydiver on that jump did a
>BR during the break off . . .

Yeah, I heard that too. In fact, I heard you HAD to backfly the entire breakoff on your back or you'd get cut.

(Warning, just in case - all the above statements are jokes. I know, it's obvious, but you never know here.)

If it is a wide angle lens, you will only identify jumpers that are really close above you.

If it is not a wide angle lens, that problem won't be as bad, but I wouldn't think it easy to "aim" your view to be directly above. It is also likely to be shaking, which is not good for spotting a jumper above.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Say you track to 2,500 feet, do a quick barrel-roll to check your air above you. Then see someone is actually there?

What do you do then?
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

If it is a wide angle lens, you will only identify jumpers that are really close above you.

If it is not a wide angle lens, that problem won't be as bad, but I wouldn't think it easy to "aim" your view to be directly above. It is also likely to be shaking, which is not good for spotting a jumper above.

Yes. It might be hard to get used to the wide angle view. And the normal view might be useless because of the problem you mention. However many people like it (wide angle view) while driving, too.
Gonzalo

Yes. It might be hard to get used to the wide angle view. And the normal view might be useless because of the problem you mention. However many people like it (wide angle view) while driving, too.

Sure, but you're the first genius I've ever heard mention of it skydiving. The other option is to actually learn to fly your body through the barrel roll so tyou keep tracking, and not have to attempt to rely on Another piece of equipment.

And if you go and tell me that you can see everything with some mini wrist-mount mirror that I can see as I roll, I'll just laugh at you and be on my way, cause there's just no way.

And for the person who asked what happens if you track to 2500 and roll and see someone?
1)turn and track a little more

2) don't wait until right at pull time to roll. Roll as you are tracking off. that way you still have time to correct something you may see above you.

So you jump with a mirror?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It is like using your rear-view mirrors when you are driving. If you stare at them you crash.

If you can see your altimeter you can use your wrist mirror. They are not recommended for people with visual accommodation problems. It is up to you.

No it's not. A car mirror is fixed and aimed with a definite point of referrence.

Do you use this method?

The altimeter is not aimed and we all use it.

I think people could try and use it if they like it. It is just an option like the barrel roll that most people think it is a bad idea but some like it.
Gonzalo

I think people could try and use it if they like it. It is just an option like the barrer roll that most people think it is a bad idea but some like it.

Why don't you answer the question instead of trying to avoid it?

All similarities between a wrist mounted altimeter, and a wrist mounted mirror end with your wrist.

So do tell, do you use a mirror to look for traffic when you skydive, or are you simply making new techniques up as you type?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I think people could try and use it if they like it. It is just an option like the barrer roll that most people think it is a bad idea but some like it.

No comparison between the alti and a mirror and you know it :D Yes the altimeter is aimed the moment you turn it toward your eyes and you look directly at the face of it.

After this question

You said

Now you say ...

I think people could try and use it if they like it.

So... you haven't said whether or not you use a mirror even though it's "safer" than other methods of looking up.

Say you track to 2,500 feet, do a quick barrel-roll to check your air above you. Then see someone is actually there?

What do you do then?

Personally I would try to slide out from under or hum it lower, all the while kicking my own ass for tracking like a wuss...[:/]

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

A low pull contest.....

heeee, most of the peeps in this thread are against doing a 'dangerous' barrel roll during a track:D

some might lose bladder function if we start on the low pull contests...:P
note*.... I get scared around 1500'...... i wouldnt ever "win"......

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

And if you go and tell me that you can see everything with some mini wrist-mount mirror that I can see as I roll, I'll just laugh at you and be on my way, cause there's just no way.

Have you tried it? Or are you just assuming .... ? :S
Gonzalo

I have used it. Unfortunately I lost it and have not found any other suitable mirror yet :(

Have you tried it? If not, try it! It is a lot easier than you expect, well, as long as you find the proper mirror.

A barrel roll means a 360 degree roll of all your body. With the mirror you just need to "roll" your wrist a little, no more than 15 degrees when you are ready to pull and your peripheral vision will spot obstacles. I am sure you will like it if you try it. Give it a chance. Is not expensive but you will need to adapt it to your altimeter strap.

I was sure many people were using it here. A similar one is used to check the camera led
Gonzalo

This occasional debate was regenerated in the Incidents thread about the recent freefall-into-canopy collision at Titusville.

So what do you think? Barrel roll while tracking for a better view above you, or stay on your belly during the whole track?

No, it's a silly idea that simply uses up valuable altitude that could be used to create seperation.

The incident in Titusville was the camera flyer's fault. he should have never been there.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.