redwing120

Javelin with damage inside

Recently I found one corner on the reserve handle pocket with damage (see photo). I currently fly a wingsuit but I don't think this is the cause because the wingsuit doesn't hit that spot and the damage is inside the pocket. My rigger can't figure out what caused the damage. The strange thing is, it's just the reserve but not the cutaway. Any clues? Thanks so much!!
David Di Filippo
[email protected]
828-768-5309

That looks an awful lot like Velcro damage. It looks like at some point (maybe after a repack) the reserve handle was inserted with the Velcro not fully mated inside the pocket which left the hook side exposed against the webbing. If that's the case, normal handling of the container and manipulation of the harness would cause the Velcro to rub and fray the webbing. Your rigger can clean it up as long as the stitching isn't broken or severely damaged but it looks pretty rough.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

councilman24

If the yellow thread is broken the strength of the webbing is significantly decreased. Around 30%. Webbing needs to be replaced.

I agree.

But playing devil's advocate: 70% of 6000 pounds is still in excess of the 4000 pound strength we'd have if the harness were Type-8 instead of Type-7. We know Type-8 harnesses are strong enough. This harness won't break on the next jump, so why not make a jump, inspect, make another jump, inspect, etc. to see if the fray gets worse? Maybe the harness would last until it needs resizing for the next owner.

Mark

RiggerLee

That actually sound really reasonable and a lot of us took that approach for many years till that Javelin harness blew up. Then we started looking more carefully at how the strength degraded and we started to realize how critical the edges of the webbing were...

Lee

If it was the main we are talking about I would agree that seems reasonable but it's the MLW. If that breaks then everything is screwed. It's not like you can deploy a reserve MLW. Replacing it isn't that expensive and increases the likelihood your friends won't have to help clean you up off the dz before jumping resumes.

riggerrob

Amusing debate!!!

However no rigger will repack that reserve until the damaged webbing is replaced.

Some might.

I wouldn't, I was taught that if the colored threads along the edges is damaged, then the harness is unairworthy.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if someone, somewhere would pack it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My understanding is that the colored thread is an identifier, not a wear indicator. Type 7 webbing has convenient yellow tracers, but other harness webbing does not, even though it is also significantly weakened when the selvedge is damaged. The key is broken threads on the edge, which is much worse than a damaged thread in the weave further inboard. Don't rely on the tracer as an indicator of integrity, that is not it's function.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

wolfriverjoe

***Amusing debate!!!

However no rigger will repack that reserve until the damaged webbing is replaced.

Some might.

I wouldn't, I was taught that if the colored threads along the edges is damaged, then the harness is unairworthy.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if someone, somewhere would pack it.

I wouldn't pack it either.