0
Colm

New helmet liner project

Recommended Posts

I jump an old, circa year ~2000 bonehead helmet. Over time, the liner really packed out super thin, and stopped fitting me well. The manufacturers apologetically said they don't offer replacement liners for this old style any more, so I sewed my own.

Materials were about 7$ (the pillow foam, or whatever it is, from walmart) + 2$ (fabric) + whatever I paid for a set of motorcycle helmet earphones on the internet ($15 maybe?), plus some thread I had lying around the house. I also already had some mated velcro strips with adhesive backing.

I cut out new foam inserts based on the original liner shapes, and sewed them into pillow cases. I attached the ear speakers which came with their own velcro. I sewed a little fabric pouch to contain all the excess wire cord, and routed just enough wire to tuck to the back of the helmet where I had previously mounted my flysight (with velcro and small bungee straps). I fixed the new liner pieces in place with velcro.

Result: it's the best fit this helmet has ever had! Plus I have integrated speakers for my flysight, and I didn't have to buy a new $200 helmet.

Pictures attached.

I guess I am only posting this to show that some old gear can get new life... hell you don't even need to be good at sewing. I have not used a sewing machine in 20 years, i didn't even know how to turn the damn thing on. Besides this helmet goes great with my DOM 1994 Racer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0