2shay

coach rating jump requirements

Tongue in cheek bro. Don't underestimate the bragging rights part though. You'll meet a good number of people who'll try to inject "I'm a coach" into everything. Works with whuffos and noobs. it gets a 'meh, annoying' from me.

It usually goes away as the person gains more experience. You seem to have a very healthy and positive attitude about it.

It seems to me a bit that the coach rating legitimises charging people for stuff you should do for free. It's particularly bad at big DZs but happens at small DZs as well.

At smaller ones such as my own it's common to pay your own slot, unless it's like 10 jumps in a row. Just a give-back-to-community thing. I prefer this because it keeps things relaxed and fun and builds relationships.

I would hope that for most people it has nothing to do with bragging. I jump at a small dz and most of the students that make jumps are still in the early parts of progression. I would like to become a coach to help out the other instructors when the students get close to the end of the licensing process. If I was able to jump with students without a rating I would do it. I want to be active in the process of student progression because I want to help continue to get new jumpers licensed.

I agree. I also believe that you can always seek out people who will advance your skills no matter how good you think you are. That is why I seek out respected organizers to challenge my skills. It isn't cheap, but well worth it. When the student is ready, a teacher will appear.

when did you start helping out?

Thanks for the compliment. I started helping out when I had 4-500 jumps. Prior to that I didn't feel I had the experience to be able to analyze what people were doing and give them the information the needed.

It may be worth noting that I do have experience in teaching from other sports, though that was quite a while ago. I believe, though I'm not certain, that that carries over to my coaching of skydiving. I've also been lucky enough to be around some top class coaches (cf. Michael Vaughan), whose teaching methods I've shamelessly stolen :).

As to whether I'm actually any good, methinks you'd have to ask some more senior jumpers and/or the people I've coached.

Well, having watched you work with people coming from a very wide range of skills (30 to 300 jumps) in the same group, I was impressed. My daughter came away better for the experience with your group.
I teach 4 days a week at the university; I hope those teaching skills carry over to being a coach, when/if I achieve that rating.