Doasfu

Farmer McNasty

Greetins All,
I noticed PLFkings mention of a Farmer McNasty landing in his post. (Congrats on the license, by the way.) Anyhow, does anyone have any good Farmer McNasty or general landing out stories? I (un)fortunately have none just yet, sorry.
Dan

I learned a valuable lesson this year....never let the pilot spot!!! I was at my "winter" dz and the ceiling started to drop a bit (9,500 ft) and we decided to get our last jump of the day in before night fall. 4 of us piled into the plane and off we went. The pilot, who is also the dzo, decided to get us a little extra altitude and took us to about 10,000. On jump run, we opened the door, only to find about 500 ft of "industrial haze" :P, I said to the pilot that I can't spot through it and he assured me that his GPS said we were right over top. So, the 4 of pulled off a quick linked exit and held it through the "haze", I took a quick glance down and wouldn't you know it, the dz was about 4 quarters of land away!!!! Needless to say, the 4 way broke off and tracked like hell towards the dz, pulled high, and still landed 2 1/2 miles away in a field full of cows (yup, took off the booties under canopy and avoided any piles that were steaming.) :D Once we landed, the cows found us quite interesting and decided to come and take a look in the -18 celcius weather while we waited 20 minutes for our ride! :D But we did get a free jump and a good laugh!
Tee

Our old dz was right next to a major highway, and across the highway was a nice bean field, with a friendly neighbor (but I didn't know that at the time). But if you landed there, it was a long walk back because you had to get to the bridge to cross the highway. Anyway, I landed out there one day, after my first 8 way, and started the long trudge back. As I was walking down the road, a police car drove past, then backed up and stopped. The officer got out of the car and opened the door to the back seat. Get in, he tells me. So I did, of course. Then I asked him if I was under arrest or if he was giving me a ride. He laughed and said anyone crazy enough to jump out of planes deserved a ride, and he drove me back. It was pretty funny having a police car deliver me back to the dz.

The folks surrounding our dz are VERY nice. Exept for when broken glider tow ropes drag across peoples rooftops and then its THOSE DAMN SKYDIVERS-LOL, If someone from the dz doesnt make it fast enough to pick folks up, the locals usually get a laugh out of giving rides to the jumpers, which is VERY cool. We should have a party for them(excuse to drink more).
There have been afew fun stories where people landing off would land in the outfield of the local schools baseball games-LOL This has happened more than once. The school is less than a mile from the dz (by air) and its always good to hear the funny comments. Like the "he just came out of the sky!" mentioned above.
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

i landed i a field pron 600m from the dz but it took me half anhour to get back cause it was crisscrossed with fences and barb wire and i got me and the canopy stuck on an elecdtric fence which hurt alot * WARNING removing canopys from ewlectric wire hurt *

No real good stories "yet". I do understand that the local farmer doesn't like the planes flying over all the time though even though the DZ has been there longer than him. I guess he also thinks we damage the crops alot from landing off, when in reality the wildlife surely does alot more damage than we ever do. I did hear a story about one of the nearby farmers made a maze in his cornfield. It was shaped like an old steam locomotive that was quite large and really cool to look at under canopy, it think it was for halloween or something but it was before I started jumping.
Craig

Yeah, I landed on the driving range at Sebastian (it was the only area where nobody was playing) I had a great landing and was psyched and then I thought "how the hell do I get out of here?". One of the kids from the proshop picked me up in a golf cart and took me back to the DZ. It was pretty funny. Cool dude, said that he was going to come jumping sometime.
"I'll jump anything!"

After I landed downwind in a bit of a tumble in the strawberries last spring/summer, the guys told me that I had torn up one Farmer McNasty's $800 strawberry blankets (kind of a weather proof blanket dealy for the plants)... I kinda figured they were just jammin' me...

I had the pleasant experience of landing off once having to limbo under an electric fence that was about 10 inches away from a barbed wire fence. It was winter - the crops were in - what kind of farmer needs that kind of protection for a plowed field with no livestock?

Yeah, I landed on the driving range at Sebastian (it was the only area where nobody was playing) I had a great landing and was psyched and then I thought "how the hell do I get out of here?". One of the kids from the proshop picked me up in a golf cart and took me back to the DZ.

I think they're used to us landing on the golf courses there by Sebastian.. I've landed there a few times myself.. Seems that most of the golfers are entertained by it at the beginning of the day....but after having to stop their game for the 10th time, they are not very happy..
Mike

Seems that most of the golfers are entertained by it at the beginning of the day....but after having to stop their game for the 10th time, they are not very happy.

Serves them right! They outta get a real sport. Actually, I kind of like golf. (I know, I'm sorry. Please don't shun me.) That said, you'd think they'd recognize the inherent badassness of skydivers and just deal with it. :)
Dan

I've found that the golf courses make great landing areas. Not the driving ranges though. At Cross keys, 75% of people who land off land at this golf course right behind our treeline. now, a REALLLLLY bad spot to teh other side of the airport leaves the option of the miniature golf course and driving range. These I do not recommend. I've never foudn the people at the real golf course to be anything but friendly. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Yea, I landed on a dairy farm once. I was immediately
surrounded by hungry cows, and I'm pretty sure they
thought I was their "savior" from above! I'm not sure
if a church was formed, but there's a good chance a herd
is worshiping me somewhere and expecting me to return.
Dick
http://MSNhomepages.Talkcity.com/BoxSeatBlvd/Dickonline/
Edited by Dickmcmahon on 3/20/01 10:17 PM.

About a month ago the first load of the morning went up at about 9:00. My skydive U. instructor and I look out at what seems like a perfectly good spot. Well, the uppers were really crankin' that morning and at 6K we look over and start tracking to the DZ, we pull at 4K and I realized I wasn't going to make it at all. Looking around for a safe landing spot, I remember the DZO talking about a Farmer McNasty, but since the DZ has several farmers around it, I hoped to God I wasn't about to land in his backyard. Luckily I didn't, and I landed right next to this guys patio where he and his son were having breakfast. I was as polite as possible, "Sir, I apologize for landing in your yard, my name is Jeremy etc. etc. He said, no problem and gave me his phone, I called the DZ and got a ride. He later came out to jump that week! A pretty cool guy all and all.

I don't know if anyone here jumps at Headcorn, but about 1.5miles away from the DZ, there's a country house where they keep lions. You can easily see the enclosures when under canopy at about 3k. Now that would be a bad off-landing!
Then there's the stream that first time jumpers seem to enjoy...
"toggle left,.... toggle lefffft .... TOGGGGLEEEEE LEEEFFFFT "
... splash ...
heh :)Ed

We had planned to jump into a nearby airport to have lunch one day (DZ is a private strip). Get in the plane, fly up, jump out, have lunch, get back in plane, fly home, jump out.
Well, the weather turned bad, so nobody showed up. A tandem came along, and we thought "Ya, we can get that in before the weather really hits" So, up we go. Me and a couple guys went out together and goofed off. Opened about 3K.. looked around, and thought "errr... where am I?" I know the area pretyy well, but I was lost.. couldn't even see the DZ. Evidently, while we were climbing, the front came in, the winds increased AND changed by 180 degrees. I kept backing up under canopy. Landed in a field by one guy (has a good video of it... don't flare too much when you're already going backwards) Walked up to the road, and saw the other guy we were with and the vidiot from the tandem. Between the four of us, we guessed which was to head for the DZ. Luckily, someone else had shown up at the DZ to make the lunch trip and came out to get us. On the way back, we're all sitting in the bed of his truck, and it starts to rain. that sucked. We had to be close to 5 miles out.
The other "Way out time" - I open, see canopies coming at me. "Oh, I must be heading the wrong way" Turn around - canopies coming at me. "Ok, everyone's lost. Most of us landed together in this guy's yard. Again, we were a good ways out. Probably 4 or 5 miles. There's still some speculation as to why the entire load was that far off.

I did hear a story about one of the nearby farmers made a maze in his cornfield. It was shaped like an old steam locomotive that was quite large and really cool to look at under canopy

that maze is right by skydive chicago and it looks really awesome under canopy, luckly i havent had to find my way out of it. I guess its a way to make a little money because he advertises his maze w/ signs on the side of the road. It would be pretty fun to get pissed and run around through it but i dont want to get shot w/ a shot gun.
blue skies, cold beer
chris

that maze is right by skydive chicago and it looks really awesome under canopy

Actually this maze was in Ohio. There used to be an old railway that runs by our DZ and it is abandoned and all the rails are taken out. It is a great landmark that you can see from altitude to locate the DZ (private airport/grass runways). Anyhow, I think he built the maze for some historical reasons or something.
Craig

Right across from the DZ I did my AFF at there was sewage treatment plant or something like that. There was a couple of huge vats of, I assume, shit. I paid very close attention when my JM was explaining the landing approach :) And on my 6th jump I landed about a mile out on the edge of a cornfield (I learned the same lesson Tee did). After getting up and looking around I noticed that I landed right between two metal fence posts about 4 feet apart. If I had been a little off either way, well, it would have really sucked.
josh