propblast

Rig bag

If you are doing it as a sewing project, reverse engineer a bag you like. Then start sewing.

If you want to do it to save money, fuggetaboutit. I picked up a good used, simple one compartment backpack that holds my rig and logbook, and maybe a wingsuit shoved in. Cost me 5 bucks at the flea market. The zipper and fabric alone would have cost me that much, let alone all the time to sew it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Agreed second-hand luggage will always be cheaper than buying the materials to sew your own.
I have sewn a dozen gear bags, but did not bother to save the patterns.
Start by thinking that airline carry-on luggage is 21" x 14" x 9". Draw those dimensions on a piece of cardboard and see if you rig will fit inside, then think about pockets. over-lap on zippers, shoulder straps etc. For shoulder straps, just copy the shoulder straps on your most comfortable back-pack/day-pack.

Forget trying to sew the shoulder straps. Find an old backpack with good shoulder straps. Cut the straps off and sew them into your gear bag.

A lot of bigger rolling gear bags have the shoulder straps in a zippered compartment on the bottom of the bag. I have never used them in the 10 years of jumping. But when I want some shoulder straps for a project, know right where to find a set.B|

As a sewing project, I am considering making a version of a rig sleeve to completely cover my rig while traveling by air. Having it as small as possible to fit under the airline seat is necessary. I have a huge roll of cordura, so material cost is minor.

Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

Forget trying to sew the shoulder straps. Find an old backpack with good shoulder straps. Cut the straps off and sew them into your gear bag.

A lot of bigger rolling gear bags have the shoulder straps in a zippered compartment on the bottom of the bag. I have never used them in the 10 years of jumping. But when I want some shoulder straps for a project, know right where to find a set.B|

As a sewing project, I am considering making a version of a rig sleeve to completely cover my rig while traveling by air. Having it as small as possible to fit under the airline seat is necessary. I have a huge roll of cordura, so material cost is minor.

I found it MUCH easier to just get a Monkey to carry everything FOR me! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

I found it MUCH easier to just get a Monkey to carry everything FOR me! :P

Falling for that the first time was one thing.

But three days in a row? Guess I'm a slow learner.[:/]

:)

Jump an Infinity

I just came back from Florida with my rig in this bag from Eagle Creek.
http://www.backcountry.com/eagle-creek-digi-hauler-backpack?ti=UExQIENhdDpEYXlwYWNrczoxOjI6YmNzQ2F0NzExMDAwNzY&skid=EAG3233-OCH-ONESIZ

Not enough room for a helmet, but perfect for a rig.