yvanpec

How big of a volume difference in regards to packing skills ?

Unless Aerodyne changed their ZPX material.

I've packed for 4 years, at rate of 4 rigs in 20 min comfortably, and I think I know my shit when it comes to packing sport rig, and ZPX does not pack two sizes smaller.

Worn out ZPX will probably pack a full size smaller, and ZPX gets old in a weird fashion. I doubt that any ZPX canopy will be able to jump upward of 3000-4000 jumps. They get all stretchy and weird over time. There is a reason why they stopped making Sensei in ZPX.

Get a normal ZP, everyone has hard time packing at first and they all learn eventually.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I put over 250 jumps on a pilot 188zpx in a rig designed for 130-150zp canopies. It fits perfectly into the rig and packs definitely smaller than the 150zp I have into this rig now.

If you say it packs 1/2 or 1/3 size smaller than regular ZP, then you must be the guy on crack or even worse!
This is just plain wrong.

stayhigh

You are on crack if you think that zpx packs two sizes smaller.

Zpx packs 1/2 or 2/3 sizes smaller than what it is marked.

If you need full size smaller, you need to use PD pulse.

DivingWombat

I put over 250 jumps on a pilot 188zpx in a rig designed for 130-150zp canopies.

What is the brand and size of this container?

IconI4

Ok then. An I4 is made for 150s, but people can and do stuff 170s into them. Then you were stuffing a 188ZPX into a space that will hold a 170, but not easily. This does not mean that ZPX packs two sizes small. It means that you got away with overfilling your container.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

It can be a subjective thing. But your first hint is the manufacturer's recommendation. Then, how hard is it to get in the bag? You are a new packer, so they are ALL hard to get in the bag, but how does your DZ packer find it? Sometimes people will just use a slightly larger bag to get around this. Next is how long does the closing loop need to be? The manual should give you an idea how long is best. Then, can you close it and make the grommets go to where they belong? (different on some rigs, read the manual) And finally, how does it look? If it is overstuffed it won't look right. Over filling the container can damage it. The stiffeners and grommets can start to pull out. If you see this happening check with your rigger right away to limit the problem.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Just my own anecdotal experience. I've put about 100 jumps/pack jobs on a Pilot 168 ZPX from new. The first 15 packs were tough and felt like a brand new ZP canopy and wanted to inflate back up and was very slippy. After that it quickly became a lot easier; inflated less, became less slippy and the material became more pliable and less crispy. It felt like packing a regular ZP that had many hundreds of jumps on it. I had to shorten my closing loop by a good 1/2 inch because it was getting loose. My container is designed for a 130-150 range main and the canopy almost falls into the bag now.

I'm told that Aerodyne canopy sizes tend to be bigger than equivalent size measurements from PD or Icarus. eg . a 150 pilot is bigger than a 150 sabre2. When Aerodyne talk about ZPX packing down about 2 sizes smaller I am pretty sure they are comparing to the equivalent Aerodyne canopy, not those from other manufacturers.

I see, we have many experts here and everyone thinks he is right.
If you have not jumped and packed such a configuration, I would recommand you to stay away from giving WRONG advice.

I was in contact with Aerodyne before I decided to buy the whole rig brandnew. I bought on their recommandations.

Is that not the way that you dorkzone-experts always adwise? "Don't fool around, ask the manufacturer!"

I4, Pilot 188ZPX, OP176.
The rig never looked or felt overstuffed. Riggers had no problem to pack the reserve, packers always told me it is a very nice fit. You can pack the 188 main into the bag and close the bag completely - no fabric sticks out of the bag, cover fully closed. The closing loop is quite short.
A friend of mine has the same configuration: I4, Pilot188ZPX, Speed 170. Again, it is a normal fit. Not tight, not loose.

In the beginning, it takes some time and patience. But after 5-10 packjobs, it packs dramatically smaller.
It does pack AT LEAST two sizes smaller.
It packs smaller than a regular 150ZP, and definitely smaller than the Safire 2 159 I could still fit into the I4. Tight but ok, cover fully closed, checked by a senior rigger.

You can NOT pack a 170 ZP into an I4. If you do so, you def. overstuff the rig. I would not want to jump/pack it.

If you still doubt my words, then contact Aerodyne to check. But please stop posting BULLSHIT!

gowlerk

I put over 250 jumps on a pilot 188zpx in a rig designed for 130-150zp canopies.

What is the brand and size of this container?

IconI4

Ok then. An I4 is made for 150s, but people can and do stuff 170s into them. Then you were stuffing a 188ZPX into a space that will hold a 170, but not easily. This does not mean that ZPX packs two sizes small. It means that you got away with overfilling your container.

I'll post a couple picture tomorrow maybe it will help to see if it's right or wrong.

It was an impossible fit on the first 3 attempts. It was then a tight fit on attempts 4 to 8 and I would NOT have jumped it. Then with more patience and some help from a fellow jumper who has more experience packing, I was able to fit it in the bag very nicely without having to force it in there. (to the point where I started to wonder if some magic happened overnight......)

Every flap covers every inch of fabric, the lines are nice and tucked in there.

Now, the closing loop is probably too long but I can't find any info from Aerodyne on recommended lengths and grommet alignments.

fact is, I still wouldn't jump it :S but it's still nice to have a rig to practice packing at home. I got to really understand the design of the canopy (during AFF, As Bs Cs and Ds didn't really mean anything to me....) and it also gives me plenty of time to work and understand bulk distribution.

I get to practice on a very hard rig to pack, and when I go jump the rental on sunday, maybe it will be a breeze to pack it up :D

Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.