masterrigger1

New Rigging Tool

I thought I would show you guys a new tool I have come up with.

It is called the Master Torq.It is great for winding down Pilot chutes into the container and also just holding tension on the pack job while answering the phone or waiting for the Pack job to settle a little before inserting the ripcord pin.

It also will pre-stretch closing loops which was another rigger's idea BTW.

The though slot for the pull up cord is barely seen in the last picture. It is just to the left of the shaft collar.

[inline mastertorq1.jpg]

[inline mastertorq2.jpg]

I will have a couple of them at DeWolf's riggers course starting this Friday.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Awesome, even if it does look like something the Coyote would use to launch himself at the Road Runner. And it's too large for anyone to leave inside the container by accident, so no red flags needed.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I started with an existing design and made some improvements. It will loosen tension a little at a time, built in ruler, recess for size 0 grommet, anodizing, and cutout for temp pin.

Yep, I saw a couple around before using a similar design.

It looks like you have a 12" scale on the side which gives me so reference for size.
What is your "working" range or stroke on it?
I am guessing about 7-8" if you take into consideration for the loop on your pull up cord, etc...

I had thought about a similar design about two years ago, but wanted the ability not to have to tie loops in the pullup and also be able to compress a long Pilot chute start to finish in one fail swoop.
That is why I stuck with this design. The rotary take up is pretty much unlimited in regard of the amount of travel or stroke.

MEL

Are you selling them? If so how much? I use a cloverleaf reserve handle and knee plate which is exhausting after a while. I have one of the cheap cylinder tools with the rod that goes through it but I don't like it too much.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Everything old is new again.;)
http://www.silverparachutes.com/ez-close-ratchet-for-parachute-riggers/
Allen's smaller footprint allows it to not bridge the sides of a javelin, wings, etc.

A local rigger saw mine about 12 years ago and made his with a cut off ratchet like yours. Your wood working a little better.
When I got mine from Allen a Korean comp. was showing a closer at the symposium. It was 18" or more high and much more complex. Designed for small women military riggers. I should them Allen's and you could see their shoulders sag and their faces droop.

You can tear a rig apart with these. I don't let newbie riggers use it. You need some 'feel' for how hard your pulling.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Everything old is new again.Wink
http://www.silverparachutes.com/...r-parachute-riggers/
Allen's smaller footprint allows it to not bridge the sides of a javelin, wings, etc.

The concept is old. My tool is somewhat different though.
I saw Allen's at the 1st San Diego PIA symposium when he was showing it there. Nice tool but I thought it needed some refinement for my purposes though.

Master Torq differences:

* Can be made left or right handed in about two minutes or less

*The torque shaft is mounted forward about 1 1/4 inches to help with the balance and Temp Pin insertion.

* Is basically a one piece design meaning that you do not have a separate ratchet which IMHO is cumbersome at best.

*Lighter and center balanced

*The 4 inch lever or crank is somewhat a limiting factor with regards to applied torque. It is not the typical 9-10 inch handle that you usually see on a 3/8" ratchet.

*The base or "footprint" is smaller width wise than a standard knee plate, but not as small as Allen's. I think too small of a footprint is more likely to damage the PC spring and/or the PC top plate.

*Simple construction which generally equals a cheaper price.

MEL

Very nice,,,why the choice of wood over metal or Alumn ?

Well. I like wood because it just looks really good if finished correctly.
Also, closed grain oak is about as tough as anything. Cost is higher than aluminum though....

MEL

Your's is the 4th iteration of this tool. It is very nice and has some nice features. Being an inventor myself, I like it's features and it is a cool device. Even though you are 4th in line, it is great to see inventions that work. I look forward to seeing it at PIA 2015 Daytona.

1st one is Allen Silver's. Yours is similar, but has improvements

2d one was displayed by a couple of really cool Japanese guys, who displayed their product at their booth at the last Reno PIA. It also used a ratchet wrench.

3rd is the Dominator pictured by hooknswoop. It has been used in my loft by hooknswoop and works like a charm.

Yours is the 4th version. New in design, size etc

Can't wait to see it.

These are REALLY nifty tools. But have you, or anyone, done pull tests to see that using all these types of devices aren't making the ripcord pull greater than allowed. Making it easier to get the loop up though a very tight container has always been the 'hardest' part of the pack job. And most of the time you could count on fabric compression to 'naturally' loosen it up, but I've heard of some folks having very hard ripcord pulls. I have a friend who took a pic holding her rig up by the reserve ripcord handle. Container had both main and reserve still packed in it. Ripcord pin stayed in place. Every repack I do a pull test on every rig I pack, and haven't had any that exceeded the limit, but I don't use any nifty devices like you've shown here (though I'd love that one with the temp pin recess - sooooo cool!). Let me know about your experiences with pull tests. :)

Mary T.
Master Rigger for 20+ years

Your's is the 4th iteration of this tool. It is very nice and has some nice features.

Walt,
Actually,my tool is probably the 10th or better iteration. I personally have seen that many different versions of this concept. The one that is closest to my Tool is from France and I saw that one about 5 years ago.

Thanks for the kudos and will catch up with you at Daytona,

MEL

BigBearCards

These are REALLY nifty tools. But have you, or anyone, done pull tests to see that using all these types of devices aren't making the ripcord pull greater than allowed.

That could use a new thread. Want to start one?

(I do use a similar rigging tool much of the time and yes with small modern rigs I find pull forces are often right up at the limit, sometimes taking overnight to settle down. But even with good progressive working of the pack job, such a tool is a big help for the last 1/4" of loop for the last flaps.)