TommyBotten

Bulk distribution problem for main canopy.

I just got a Vector 3 - 306 which I'm having a bit of trouble packing efficiently.

The reserve is "Standard fitting" while the main is in the "Full fitting". My problem comes from a gap that appears on each side of the bag as it fails to fill the corners of the container (Seen in the attached image container-open). As I close the bottom flap, the bag seems to squeeze in a way that leaves the gap.

Closing the two last flaps on top of the "squeezed" bag leaves a crease and odd dent on the container as seen in the picture "container-closed"

The reserve seems to be well packed, leaving a small bulge on the bottom of the reserve container / top of main container.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? It's a real pain to pack.

Had a similar situation but on a Paratec Next Century Rig with a UPT semi stowless bag. The rig was made for a 139, and when i first put in the Katana 107 i'm currently jumping it looked even worse than yours. I just played around with the loop lengh and started doing "bigger" packjobs, where the canopy fully fills the dbag and maybe even a little bit bigger. Works like a charm, looks like a standart fitting container now. Just try around, it will work at least better than this :-) hope this helps

If aesthetic of the container is really important, you might want to punch/knee the container and shape it according to your taste after everytime you pack.

I don't even see what the big deal is but, yeah, that is how you get rid of that crease.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

It's not about the aesthetic. Mostly it's about it being a pain to back, secondly correctness. If I'm doing something wrong with the packing or the reserve is not placed correctly, I would like to fix it.

I haven't had anyone else pack it yet, but I'll try that too.

Thanks for the insight guys, I'll play around with it a bit more with it and keep you posted if I find anything that works.

TommyBotten

******https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Kw0ZafG4c

And another tip, but that would cost you and you will have to wait another 40 weeks ;)

watch this video again. i guess you don't have your bridle (where bridle go through d bag) facing to reserve.

Thanks for the tip, but that's not the case.

it is if you are using original d bag from upt, the shape of d bag is made to put in that way.

Here's why to have a pro pack for you for an example: they know how to properly distribute canopy material to fill the corners of the D bag, which will fill the corners of the container. I do not know how to fold a canopy into a square, with square corners, but my rigger does.

Then have them verify your closing loop is the right length. On a Vector the grommets from the L and R flaps do not touch or overlap when the length is correct.

Also, professional pack jobs at the beginning of a container's lifespan means it will break in/wear without wrinkles from average jumper pack jobs (if you're anything like me, that is - they work fine but definitely don't have square corners!). Its something you can't unsee, once you know what a weirdly worn-in vector looks like, or one with a lumpy packjob like when I pack and get more bulk to the left every single time.

TommyBotten

I just got a Vector 3 - 306 which I'm having a bit of trouble packing efficiently.

The reserve is "Standard fitting" while the main is in the "Full fitting". My problem comes from a gap that appears on each side of the bag as it fails to fill the corners of the container (Seen in the attached image container-open). As I close the bottom flap, the bag seems to squeeze in a way that leaves the gap.

Closing the two last flaps on top of the "squeezed" bag leaves a crease and odd dent on the container as seen in the picture "container-closed"

The reserve seems to be well packed, leaving a small bulge on the bottom of the reserve container / top of main container.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? It's a real pain to pack.

I'm just guessing here but from what I can see of the picture of the main bag, it seems like the closing loop might be too short which would pull the edges of the bag towards the center of the pack tray. It also pulls the side flaps in too far. Try a longer closing loop. As was mentioned before, the grommets on the side flaps won't be lined up and that's the way it was designed.

Look at the spacing on the photo from the manual. They have some great pictures (page 58 in the manual) and the loop is much looser.

I got a vector micron recently and was suprised at where the closing loop position had been moved to the bottom of the pack tray with a long closing loop that looks like it wants to cut the dbag in half... all the microns i have seen have had them in the normal spot not on the very bottom like mine
Apparently they did this for a better looking closed rig? Im not sure but i hate it and want to change it
FTMC

Make your canopy slightly wider than the bag or than you have been doing it. Then shorten your closing loop. See the bottom looking like it's trying to fall out from the side flaps? Push that in/up. If your loop comes from the reserve bottom area, then by shortening it, it will pull that bottom flap up tighter, filling the corners and allowing the side flaps to close over the bottom flap properly. Then take 20 seconds and shape it when you're done.push on the bottom flap and pull the side flaps over and make it look nice nice
Again without looking at it its really hard to say, but it may just even be practice....
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Make your canopy slightly wider than the bag or than you have been doing it.

Yep. If the D-bag looks more like an American football than like a brick.... you are doomed before you put it in the container.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!