councilman24

Class 7, who did the yellow parts?

Class 7 on ebay. Was $1200, reduced with relisting to $900, head only. But does anybody who might have done the work and put yellow presser foot lift lever and thread take up lever on it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-class-7-Heavy-Duty-Industrial-Sewing-machine-7-31/371224707145?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D3f3d3288826541ceb3c579936cc7fb6c%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D371224707145

Also, I've never seen one with a reverse added. Can you tell from typical photos and if so what is it you look for?

Trying to learn something new today.:)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I am of no help with your question but if you go and pick it up my favorite restaurant is in Vernon Hills. Really great area. Also there is a 7 class up northern WI for a lot less but in no where as nice looking shape
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Did it actually have a reverse? There is a technique where you kind of loosen the presser foot or you can even remove the feed dog so the machine is not walking. It's like a darning machine. And you just sew with it. You pull the material back and forth or at any angle at your whim. It is a VERY fast way to sew. It takes some practice to get the hang of it but if you get it down or if your not too picky about the quality of your sewing then you can turn out shit like you wouldn't believe. Try it some time on an old machine. Take the feed dog out of a drop feed. It's best if you have a smooth throat plate or put a peace of smooth tape over it. Start slow and slide the thing in between stitches. That's basically how a darning machine works.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

But does anybody who might have done the work and put yellow presser foot lift lever and thread take up lever on it?

Terry,
It looks to be powder coated. There are numerous people out there that do powder coating, just look on Craigslist for them.

Also, I've never seen one with a reverse added. Can you tell from typical photos and if so what is it you look for?

Well,this one does not have reverse. It also is a 7-31 that only needs a 7-33 balance wheel to make it like a 7-33 which I highly recommend.
A 7-31 has the clutch on the head, not the motor BTW...

A 7 class that has been converted to have reverse will have the front stitch adjustment lever knob/screw removed. It also will have a dual adjustment setscrew setup on the back cover and a arm coming out of that same cover. That same arm will have a chain that goes to a foot pedal.

The method to do this is pretty simplistic. They are making the feed eccentric shaft go out of timing by 180 degrees by using a larger/longer stroke or movement of the eccentric mechanism.

Also,a 17W15 or a 31-15 can be done the same way. This something that I have done numerous times in the past.

DeWolf's old machine was converted, so I guess you just never noticed it.
He has since replaced that machine with a Consew 733R5.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Now you are confusing me. I see where you could make the feed dog go backwards that way but how does the presser foot on a 7-33 work backward? I mean the center foot just goes up and down. The outer cycles with it pressing down lifting the center foot. At that time the feed dog rises and shifts the work back but as I recall the outer foot is just spring loaded riding backwards with the feed dog. I think it comes up hard against a stop when it comes back forwards. How do you get it to swing forwards in revers?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

I see where you could make the feed dog go backwards that way but how does the presser foot on a 7-33 work backward?

It is all tied together at the feed eccentric.

Here are some photos:
[inline Singer7-33Head.jpg]

[inline Singer7-33Reverse.jpg]

[inline Singer7classReverse.jpg]

MEL

JerryBaumchen

Hi Lee,

Did it actually have a reverse?

Yes it did. It had an extra foot pedal installed & that is what would throw it into reverse. He never had to lift the presser foot or take his hands off of the webbing.

I'll have to practice that. I've got a 7-33 with reverse (it would have been a steal even if it hadn't been converted), but I only use forwards.

I seem to recall that the company mentioned in the other recent posted thread about harness machines - ie Sewing Machine Sales Co. Holland, OH 43529 1-800-449-0835 - do/did such upgrades and conversions of the older 7 Class machines.

The more modern Singer 27b2 has a pedal/lever operated reverse(back tacker) ; but I have no use for it when working on harness webbing.

Mine has an air solenoid to actuate the forward and reverse and another for the presser foot lift. This was done in house by the mechanics from Mills Mfg. There the girls could run a 4 point pattern as fast as a directron. Four machines working sounds like a machine gun nest.

I have a Singer 7-33 that the presser foot just drags and does not lift while sewing. I have tried to figure-out why but I get nowhere. Any ideas as to what may be the cause of the problem?

Chuck,
Yep... you are out of adjustment with the inner foot lift.

All walking foot type machines have an adjustment to change the ratio of the inner foot to the outer foot movement.
Basically what you want is even lift of both the inner and outer feet.
To do this is somewhat simple, but you have to play with it a bit to figure it out for each type machine. With a standard walking foot machine like a 144W, you loosen the screw on the actuating arm and then turn the shaft to adjust more or less lift of the inner foot accordingly.

See attached:
[inline 144W.jpg]

On a 7-33, you have to move the lifting frame to do this in most cases. But first set all of the adjustments in their mid span locations. Then loosen the screws at both points on the frame and set accordingly.
[inline 7331.jpg]

If you look at the thread tension in the photo, the two two points are above and below the tension device.

Also use a pencil to mark your locations BEFORE moving anything.
Just in case if you know what I mean.

Let me know if you need further help.

MEL

masterrigger1

I have a Singer 7-33 that the presser foot just drags and does not lift while sewing. I have tried to figure-out why but I get nowhere. Any ideas as to what may be the cause of the problem?

Chuck,
Yep... you are out of adjustment with the inner foot lift.

All walking foot type machines have an adjustment to change the ratio of the inner foot to the outer foot movement.
Basically what you want is even lift of both the inner and outer feet.
To do this is somewhat simple, but you have to play with it a bit to figure it out for each type machine. With a standard walking foot machine like a 144W, you loosen the screw on the actuating arm and then turn the shaft to adjust more or less lift of the inner foot accordingly.

See attached:

On a 7-33, you have to move the lifting frame to do this in most cases. But first set all of the adjustments in their mid span locations. Then loosen the screws at both points on the frame and set accordingly.

If you look at the thread tension in the photo, the two two points are above and below the tension device.

Also use a pencil to mark your locations BEFORE moving anything.
Just in case if you know what I mean.

Let me know if you need further help.

MEL

Mel,

I can't thank you enough for your help! Outstanding information. I printed it out so I'll have it handy when I go to fix it. I really appreciate it!

Chuck