gunsmokex

Questions on buying a helmet

I'm curious as to if there any standards or ratings in skydive helmets like the snell rating in motorcycle helmets. I'm looking to purchase my first helmet, open face as I am a new jumper. I was looking at a basic Benny however helmets are one of those things that I feel are best tried on in person as I'd imagine its much the same as for when I was buying my snowmobile helmet in that each manufacturer fits a little different on my head.

Anyways I was curious as to if say a skiing/snowboard helmet or skating helmet could/would be able to be substituted in for a skydiving helmet as at least here there are a few skate/ski shops around. Of course it'd have to be easily cutaway for any entanglement and be lightweight.

Just wondering what your thoughts on the topic are or if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks

edited to add:
I don't plan on using an audible altimeter at least for now.

Skydiving helmets are NOT rated in any way for anything.

Yes, you should visit a local gear store and try them on as they all fit a little differently.

And consider that even though you don't plan to use an audible at the moment, you may want to have the option later. Helmets, especially a full face, are quite expensive.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Others have said it, but I'll chime in too.

There aren't any certifications or ratings for any jump helmets.

Very few dedicated jump helmets offer much in the way of protection, beyond basic "bump & scrape."
Fiberglass or CF shells with a bit of padding and some fabric.

They hold your audible(s) and give you a place to mount your GoPro.
They keep your scalp intact when you scrape it on something.
They keep your teammate's foot from breaking your nose (if it's a full face).

And they aren't cheap.

The Benny you are looking at, and the ProTec are the only two in common use that actually give some real impact protection.

Some of the ski/snowboard helmets are sort of nice, but they tend to be hot in the summer.
The ProTec is a common skate helmet, so you might find it in one of your local shops.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'll just visit a skate shop and see what they have and what fits best. I'll probably grab a Benny or Protec, I might see how the Bern helmet fits too.

I just find it a little odd and aggravating that there are no ratings at all but I hear ya that its a specialty sport with very few numbers for the manufacturers.

Here is the rating system for snowsports http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2040.htm
What's funny is ski helmets didn't even become all that popular until the late 90's and yet they have their own rating system. We have the FAA and they don't require any type of rating on the helmets?

Oh well, but yeah I can't jump a full face helmet yet anyways and I don't plan a getting an audible so a basic helmet will do me just fine, I just want the absolute best one to actually protect my melon :ph34r:

gunsmokex

I'll just visit a skate shop and see what they have and what fits best. I'll probably grab a Benny or Protec, I might see how the Bern helmet fits too.

I just find it a little odd and aggravating that there are no ratings at all but I hear ya that its a specialty sport with very few numbers for the manufacturers.

Here is the rating system for snowsports http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2040.htm
What's funny is ski helmets didn't even become all that popular until the late 90's and yet they have their own rating system. We have the FAA and they don't require any type of rating on the helmets?

Oh well, but yeah I can't jump a full face helmet yet anyways and I don't plan a getting an audible so a basic helmet will do me just fine, I just want the absolute best one to actually protect my melon :ph34r:

Any motor sport rating for helmet is to protect from a fall of between 1 to 1.5 meters. That's all you have to worry about, even with all that horizontal speed (unless you hit a curb or a tree, in which case, it wont matter much. Ask Schummacher). Even a moderately botched landing will induce much more vertical speed than that.

Some people keep asking for ratings, but they really don't know what they are asking for.

And you want the FAA to get involved? Are you people daft?
Remster

Hey bud, let's think this one through. In order for there to be a rating system there would have to be research and development. They would have to figure out what combinations of equipment protects the body under what conditions, etc.

You can already easily drop $300+ on a new helmet. Its anyone's guess what the costs would balloon to after a few months of lab & field tests. And it would require that someone invest up front before ever selling a single helmet to cover the costs. You got some spare cash to donate to research? I don't.

And them come the lawyers as soon as someone gets hurt while wearing one...

And exactly what are you looking to protect yourself from? If any of us bounce, there is not now, nor will there ever be, a helmet that will save your ass. I've been kicked in the face, kneed (almost passed out) in the head, head to face smash by tandems, etc. Yes a helmet helps and I wear them most every jump. But they only go so far.

And please lets not even begin to discuss having the FAA get involved. I won't call it stupid but its damn close.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I'll give this thread a rating of 5/5 :D

If you could make the rating system.
How much of a punch would a helmet need to withstand to satisfy you?
I'm serious. Because I'm quite sure any number you say can be too little in a normal incident with some bad luck in the mix.
Keep in mind you don't want a 20 lbs helmet on your head

I'll agree with "The FAA would just screw things up and take forever" or that "our sport is a tiny market compared to others" or even that "a helmet can't save you from a steep dive into the ground".

However, it is still reasonable for a newbie to wonder about certification. Not to say that a helmet has to 100% save you, just that someone could wonder why "anything goes", why there's not even some standard a company could voluntarily certify to if they wished to position their product that way.

In Europe, you can buy a nice quality open face paragliding helmet for $120 (I just checked prices), that is certified to both EN 966 for air sports in Europe, and also has a second certification, EN 1077 for skiing & snowboarding too.

A nice quality kevlar based full face helmet with visor -- air sports certified -- goes for $300.

So even prices for multiple certifications, in a relatively new sport, that is relatively small (but stilll probably big vs. skydiving), can be pretty reasonable.

Not everyone needs to wear a certified air sports helmet though, depending on where you are. Don't know the details, but it started to be required in some international competitions.

Thus one can understand someone new to skydiving wondering, "So, a totally uncertified skydiving full face helmet goes for $370, and that's even sometimes just plastic not composite?"

Certification is a complex subject. I don't want it mandatory for skydiving, but I'll at least I'll partially defend those who come to skydiving and ask what's with our sport.

I guess I was mostly looking at the occasional head to head bump in mid air. Or say a head to step, foot, arm, leg, etc. As long as it does the best job possible to keep me from losing consciousness. I just was surprised I guess is all.

I don't expect some super helmet that can protect my head at terminal to zero or something like that. I don't think the materials exist right now nor would I want to pay NASA prices to have it designed. You are right though anything with the FAA would be expensive.

Thanks for the info Chapman I was looking at the tests they do for the EN966 certification and it was pretty interesting. The puncture test looked pretty brutal.

http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Helmets/Safety/About-safety.htm

Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq0BrxVgjEM
Looking around tonight I just found the helmet that I will probably be getting when it comes the time for a full face. Has anyone ever used the 4fight by Icaro? http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Helmets/SkyDive/SkyDive.htm $329! Looks like a very decent helmet.

edit: I found a link for the EN966 for the 4fight skydive helmet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8pyFdoNQ8

I'm very curious about this company now though does anyone jump with or know anyone that jumps with the Nerv http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Helmets/Nerv/Nerv.htm or the Fly? http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Helmets/Fly/Fly.htm

These two models look like they way work, very light weight and great protection with a slim profile. I mssg'd Floormonkey who uses the Fly but it looks like he hasn't posted since Nov 2013

Thanks