J-Rock

Cutaway system on Northern Lite, havent seen this one before

Check out the Northern Light container in this ebay add. Ive never seen this type of main cutaway system before. Does anyone have any info or insight as to what it is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Paraphernalia-Northern-Lite-Parachute-Rig-w-Reserve-and-Record-Log-/391005450255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b09bdb00f

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Chrysalis!
I think that's the spelling. Surprised that it was built as late as 1987. So was it by Para-Phernalia?? That I don't know.

Cool, that's a rare one.

How did it work? Cable pulls out of loop, freeing the two side plates (attached to riser) to flip up and away from the triangular plate (attached to harness side). Something like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Paraphernalia-Northern-Lite-Parachute-Rig-w-Reserve-and-Record-Log-/391005450255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b09bdb00f

Hey, looks like Terry Urban (councilman24) packed it in '97.

I was also surprised to see this on something out if the late 80's, thought it would be more out of the "Boothwell" era. I have both a Northern Lite and a Northern Lite II, both are 3 ring. Started to think is was some unknown design that never made it on the commercial market.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

I made a jump on a northern lite cont. that had a belly band throw out. ( but 3 ring so thread drift) but on that jump i never pulled and didn't have an aad. ;) i guess i should be dead:Pit was at sparta ill and it was dave's rig

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Peter got the function right. The two side plates had a tapered end.that fit into grooves milled into.the triangular piece attached the harness. Loop kept plates from separating. When cable was pulled plates flipped up and away. Worked well. But the problem with it was it didn't have the amp fitting on the end of the housings to hold the housing to the release. Without it if you pulled a housing you cut away the release. Locally I don't think that ever happened. I've assumed that it was a patent issue that prevented Dan from putting the fittings on but never asked him. One advantage if it to me was no part had to go through another part like the 3 ring. The story I have is that this release actually came from the marine barge tow industry and was a quick release in some of their straps. Once the supplier found out Dan was using it in parachutes they cut off the supply. Trying to remember who's rig this was. I remember it well. Notice that it has Maverick reserve SN 091 on it. I'll have to look in my logs.

About 1982 Dan T bought Paraphernalia and moved out west from Michigan where I'm at. Some of the best parties were at his and Marcie's house. He introduced the Chrysalis (I don't know the spelling either) mid 80's for a few years. Since he was from this area Northern Lites were very popular here and there were probably between 5 and 10 with this release at our small DZ. I bought a Northern Lite in 1982 and this wasn't available then so I never had one. I've been trying to find one around here for.a.long.time but have never asked the right person. I have three from that era but none with the Chrysalis. I'll have to see how rich I feel.

Went and got my log. I serviced lots of these but only packed this one twice. Once with a round and this time putting the ram air in it. And for the second owner. This originally might have been rigger owned because I did most rigs and the only other riggers were the DZO and another guy who I think had an older one. I'll have to track down who the original owner was. I should know of the top of my head whose this was. Also curious how it got to California.

Lots of memories tonight. Too cool.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The Chrysalis release system worked quit well at least when it had relatively few jumps logged on it. I know because I had a 1987 Northern Lite container with this system and initiated a clean cutaway using it in '92. Later, however, the webbing and or cable loop that kept the folding plates tight in place stretched a bit after about 300 jumps. This caused the folding plates to become dislodged from the triangular holding plate occasionally. ¬¬¬Probably causing a hard cutaway pull or maybe a breakaway from that side due to excess stress on the cable loop as the leverage advantage is lost. I caught this problem a couple times, thankfully before the jumps (always inspect your system) and then finally sent the rig back to Paraphernalia for a three ring release mod. Blue skies!