Neoslim22

Speed reserve in Vector

FrancoR

The speed does pack very small, when i bought mine i compared to the PD Optimun, it packed the same size. I have a Speed 170 and it fits my Icon I5.

+1

A 135 Speed 2000 might fit extremely tight in a container where a 126 Optimum is close to its limit.
A Speed 150 in a Vector 304 is pretty much impossible. I would even doubt that someone is able to fit a 135 in a 304 within the recommended loop lenght. A 120 would be the maximum I would even dare to try to fit into a 304. Is someone out there jumping such a configuration?

According to my rigging girlfriend you should compare a 120 speed to a 126optimum to be on the safe site fittingwise.

But your mileage may vary. Dont expect wonders to happen though.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

My memory from another thread is that someone claimed that the square footage doesn't match what is claimed (at least compared to others). It would be interesting to see the chord and span dimensions, but the Paratec site doesn't give them.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I just wanted to share a picture with you. The freebag is V319 and the canopy inside is a Speed 2000 150. According to UPT's chart, Speed 120 would be a full fit...You make your own conclusion.

Stay safe!
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

That canopy has room to rattle around in the freebag!

Interesting that the Speed is so much smaller in pack volumes than other low-volume reserves. I assume it's either different fabric, different construction (less reinforcement tapes?) and/or different way of measuring size. If it's fabric, why aren't other manufacturers using it? If it's construction, what effect does it have on reliability? (unintentional reserve openings during freefly come to mind...). And how are sizes of canopies measured anyway? I know it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, but can that really explains a massive size difference?

a local very experienced rigger when I asked of all the low pack volume reserves which one has what looks like the most rugged tough construction his answer was the smart lpv. so if i were to venture from my tried and true pdr into a low pack volume reserve I would go for the smart lpv. but I will stick with the bullet proof pdr.

Deyan

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I just wanted to share a picture with you. The freebag is V319 and the canopy inside is a Speed 2000 150. According to UPT's chart, Speed 120 would be a full fit...You make your own conclusion.

Stay safe!

I do have speed 2000 120 in a V306, it's a perfect fit...

One thing worth noting is that UPT provides info for speed instead of speed 2000, the second one is true low-bulk reserve and first one is standard fabric....

The vector sizing chart makes no sense.

V319: Loose fitting - Op126, Smart 110
Full fitting - Speed 120, Smart 120

V306: Full fitting - Op126, Smart 110... and Speed 120.

How can the same Speed canopy pack so much tighter than two others (that I chose for this) in one container, but then pack basically the same as those same canopies in another container?

Typo on the V319?

But yeah I had a Speed 2000 120 in a SWS Fire Size 00 (made for PDR 106), and a Speed 2000 135 in a Fire size 11 (made for PDR 113).
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

The vector sizing chart makes no sense.
How can the same Speed canopy pack so much tighter than two others (that I chose for this) in one container, but then pack basically the same as those same canopies in another container

That's my point. It doesn't pack as tight as they say it does.

Typo on the V319?

Nope. And the attachment is a Speed 135 in V316! (again no typo). According to their chart, it shouldn't fit, right?!
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen
  • Like 1

Well, technically who knows, as the Speed isn't mentioned with the V316.

But for a general guidance, for a Speed 135 I look for an Op126. Wherever the Op126 fits, the Speed 135 should fit as well. And similarly for the Speed 120 and Op113.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Blis

***Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I just wanted to share a picture with you. The freebag is V319 and the canopy inside is a Speed 2000 150. According to UPT's chart, Speed 120 would be a full fit...You make your own conclusion.

Stay safe!

I do have speed 2000 120 in a V306, it's a perfect fit...

One thing worth noting is that UPT provides info for speed instead of speed 2000, the second one is true low-bulk reserve and first one is standard fabric....

To my knowledge, there's only one Speed reserve in size 180. Designed in the late '80s and certified under the German DFV?! No span wise reinforcement. All other sizes are Speed 2000. FAA and EASA TSO certified. I'm pretty sure Stefan will clear this up at some point.

Now,... Paratec will make you any size Speed 2000 from the regular 0-3 cfm fabric upon request. They have about 10 colors available. The low bulk however, comes only in white. What is the chance that Paratec will send reserves with the normal fabric to UPT for sizing?! I'd say zero. The same reserves went to Rigging Innovations (and I believe VSE) for sizing as well, and if you look at the Curv sizing chart, you will see that a Speed 120 goes in the same rig as Optimum 99. Bottom line, you(or your rigger) shouldn't trust Vector sizing chart in regards to Speed reserves!

Stefan?

degeneration

Well, technically who knows, as the Speed isn't mentioned with the V316.

Well, if the next size up (V319) lists Speed 120 as a tight fit, it's logical that no Speed reserve should fir in the smaller container since 120 is the smallest Paratec makes.

But for a general guidance, for a Speed 135 I look for an Op126. Wherever the Op126 fits, the Speed 135 should fit as well. And similarly for the Speed 120 and Op113.

This is a good starting point indeed.

The Speed 2000 Reserve was created in 1999 successfully by utilising 2 radical developments
1. The Speed fabric which is a Paratec proprietary weaving technology including the yarn.
2. The true shape construction technique how to join the loaded ribs.
The Speed 2000 was low bulk before this marketing term was even in peoples minds
Maybe because the Skydiving community focuses mainly on US brands, such ground breaking developments coming from a European manufacturer tend go by un noticed.
Over the years, we have constantly improved the Speed fabric and will continue to do so.
Our reinforcing tapes for instance are Swiss made and exceed the relevant PIA spec by 20 % in strength- so we can make them thinner. If you want better products you must invest in better materials which cost more. If you don't find them on the mass market, you must invest money to have them developed. Very simple. But doing this, you have to accept that this item will not be beneficial to your financial yield. It will be a expensive item and not everyone will want to buy it which will limit it's market presence.

The sizing chart on the UPT website reflects the interpretation of UPT what they deem appropriate to go into the individual reserve container sizes.
Paratec has sent the Speed 2000 Reserve family to all major US manufacturers for sizing. So you might want to check with the others as well.
We have sent our Speed 2000 Reserves to Sandy Reid of Rigging innovations many years ago for PIA volume testing just to make sure we get unbiased and real figures.

I hope I have shed some light to this and wish you all a warm and joyful Christmas and a successful and accident free 2018.

Best

Stefan Ertler
Paratec
Germany
Gardner : She looks fast !
Truman Sparks : Yeah, it's the stripes.

A couple of years ago I was in Eloy checking stuff out at Rigging Innovations during a wind hold. The entire staff there was raving about the Speed 2000, both how much you could get into a container and the overall quality of the materials and build. It made me wish I hadn't already purchased a reserve.