FreeFlyCowboy

Question about first rig, Which would better

--Didn't mean for this to be a poll btw--

Hey everyone I just had a quick question as a newbie. I'm in a bit of a
dilemma as far as my first rig goes. Ideally what I'm looking for at the moment is a container that holds maybe a 190-210. And putting a 210 Sabre 2 in it.

I currently have 2 options and I don't know which one will be better. I'm in the market for my own rig as soon as possible because I spend close to $1500-$2000 a month just on rental fees and that money could be going towards coach jumps and tunnel time.

These are my 2 options.

Option A: I finally found a used container (with a reserve) for sale that fits my height and weight (6'3 220, 245 exit weight) and holds a 190-210 canopy. Then all I would need to do is buy a used AAD and a Main.

However, the problem with option A is my drop zone is in Dubai and The seller is in the states and I don't have a rigger in the states to do a pre-by inspection and I also can't try it on to see if it fits. Also I'm not too fond of the colors but I can get over that.

Then there's option B where I could buy a brand-new custom container from wings (not with all the bells and whistles) and a brand-new PD reserve for about $700 more than option A. (6 week wait time).

*note*
I am planning to buy a new custom mirage or vector in the future whenever I downsize to a much smaller canopy. (300-500 jumps from now) so I'm not looking for this first rig to be the most amazing decked out rig ever.

My question is, would it better to go ahead and just get a custom container with a brand new reserve? Or just try my luck with the used container? Or just hold off on jumping until I save enough for a complete rig?
"To the moon"

Option "A" is pretty easy to sort out the problems.

There are a few places that offer inspection and escrow services. Chutingstar is one.
They will receive the rig, inspect it (for a fee), and hold it until the seller says money has arrived. Then they ship it to you.
Work out before any actual shipments things like: Who pays for inspection (usually buyer), who pays for shipping if inspection reveals flaws that cancel sale (sometimes all on seller, sometimes split), and any other areas that could become an issue.
Look on their site for details.

Sizing is also pretty easy:
Go to the manufacturer's site. Find the "Measure for a custom rig" page.
Have your measurements taken. DO NOT try to do it yourself. You can't. A rigger is a good choice, a good tailor is another. But, to be honest, anyone who can read a tape measure and follow directions can do it. Take them twice to be sure.
Send the measurements and the serial number from the rig to the manufacturer (get S/N from seller). They will tell you if/how well it will fit, if a resize is needed (or even an option) and how much it will cost.
It may be to your benefit to have the escrow agent ship it directly to the manufacturer for a resize (if you go that route), and then it goes to you. Saves shipping it across the pond a couple times.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If youre spending $1500+ a month just for rental, get yourself a rig that works asap. You'll outgrow your first rig quickly enough. Then, start planning for a nice rig that fits right, in the colors you want etc... Its going to take some time to make and ship.

As said, use ChutingStar as an escrow/inspection service.

Use Chuting Star and buy used gear ASAP. You may very well have fit problems or other issues with a new rig. No sense taking the depreciation on a new rig when your jumping so much and know you want a new one. You'll actually save money buying used now even if you order a new one. Remember your used rig will have resale value and may only cost you a dollar or two (or less) per jump after resale. Your used AAD can go in any future rig. (I'd probably save the headache of finding a used one and just buy a new one with all the latest features. It can go in any future rig.)

Get something to Chuting Star ASAP for evaluation and get it to you ASAP so you can stop renting. Work out you dream rig. Order it when your ready and can afford it and jump a whole lot cheaper until then.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

likestojump

46 jumps, 6'3 220, 245 exit weight buying a rig that holds a 190-210 canopy...

that's a 1.16 or a 1.3 wing loading.

big boys hit hard.

who in their right mind has you on a 210 at your 245lbs exit weight ???

Quite right, and he wants to, "downsize to a much smaller canopy. (300-500 jumps from now)"
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

likestojump

46 jumps, 6'3 220, 245 exit weight buying a rig that holds a 190-210 canopy...

that's a 1.16 or a 1.3 wing loading.

big boys hit hard.

who in their right mind has you on a 210 at your 245lbs exit weight ???

I'm currently on 240. I have a canopy course coming up on the 9th and am signing up for the 2nd one afterwards. I'm planning on getting the container and reserve but I probably won't have the main and AAD until mid February. I'm anticipating that I will be down to 220 by that time so I'm going off of that. I usually can get in 10-13 jumps per week so I figure that's another 80-100 jumps by the time I have everything together and ready to go. After that I plan to stick with the 210 for a while until I push it any more than that.
"To the moon"