Deleted

Hookin it in.........

I just want to say to all the bad@##es out there, remember who your influencin. I saw a guy on real tv the other day biff in trying to do a 180 hook @ around 200jumps. It made me cringe somthin feirce. I'm around 250+ and admit to 45 degree to 90 hookin melllowly into my landings, but this kid tried to go for the gusto and ate it. I've seen the result of a bad hook at my dz and it scared the hell out of me. The guy is still recovering and will be for the rest of his life. He will never jump again due to his injuries. I'm just askin that all you canopy stalions out there need to teach if need be, the progressive aproach to front riser turns on approach, rather than just showin off. People are gonna try it eventually, so just let them know how to do it mellowly at first instead of them figurin out the wrong way too early. I'm not pissed off I just don't want to see anybody else get hurt.
Take it easy.

It seems to me that an awful lot of people die or badly injure themselves needlessly like this, does anyone here jump from england, how many people ever swoop at yuor dz? i've seen one swoop in 10 weekends down my dz all last year, and that was by a visiting crew team.
Ed

I have seen one swoop in 3 DZ visits. It was my first visit when I was doing a tandem and I saw the guy as he went into it. It scared the HELL out of me!!
Once I saw him land, someone by me was clapping and that calmed me a bit. I guess I didn't know about those yet.:)MORE SKYDIVING PHOTOS ADDED!!!
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/

We get about 2-3 good swoops every load at our DZ (i.e. the camera guys & a couple of instructors).
What I'd like to see is a curriculum in canopy flying. Start with the basics & work up to the more advanced stuff. We have curricula for everything else... belly flying, freeflying, skysurfing, but nothing that I've seen on canopy flying skills.
Anyone know of anything like that?
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Although I think that everyone has said their peace about this topic I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I think that just like every thing else you must walk before you can run. All of us could use more canopy skills early. The problem is I am not sure how to regulate it and how it would be taught.
Fly Free, Fly fast, Fly together
Albatross

at my dz tons of ppl swoop but they r all experienced and would go absolutly spacstic if they saw a low timer trying it, which is good
"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."
Pablo Picasso.

Back in 1995, the Australian parachute Federation published a great pamphlet "High Performance Canopies." Six years later it is scary how few skydivers are still ignorant of basic aerodynamic principles so clearly illustrated by the Aussies!
There are plenty of canopy skills exercises in the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association's Coach 2 Manual.
Skydive University has published an excellent video and manual entitled "Basic Canopy Flight 101."
finally, some of the bigger DZs are setting up canopy pilot schools. For example: Jim Slayton, J.C.Colclasure (how I spelled his name correctly), Clint Clason and Luigi Peni (check spelling) have established canopy pilot schools at both Perris and Elsinore. Jim said that one obstacle that he faces is that young jumpers just want to have fun because they are tired of being "students
after graduating AFF. It isn't until their second season and 300 jumps that they start to wonder if there is more to canopy than just left turn, right turn and flare.

This subject is really ammazing. I started jumping in 1975 and then quit for a long time, so I don't have a lot of jumps. But I do span several generations. The same arguments were going on 25 yrs ago, just different subjects.
The guys who wore tandem rigs (the kind where the reserve was mounted on the back instead of a chest mount). Man they were nuts what if they had a cone lock they couldn't reach their reserve.
Then there was the guys who jumped squares they were nuts too, and a bad influence jumping them radical rigs was gonna get people killed.
Then the ones who went to the throw out. Were they crazy they needed to get them ripcords back and get that pilot chute out of their hands. This was gonna cause all kinds of pilot chutes in tow. and those nuts with the big jump suits what was wrong with them?
Then the wing suits you better have hundreds of jumps before you try that! Them things are so dangerous. You might feel like your falling so slow you forget to pull.
Then no jumps boots!
Then no helments!
Then the whole AAD thing.
The list go's on.
Skydiving is an adult sport. If you see somebody doing something and you try it without knowing your own ability then you get what you deserve.
All those extreme guys have been whats made this sport what it is today. The reason we have the canopies and equipment we have. With out them we would still be on static lines jumping rounds and doing plf's, if jumping at all. you can't idiot proof the world.
So hook it in if you have the need!
What are people going to say about the first guy who tries to land a wing suit?
Some fun eh!