mountainman

Reserve followers...

how about seeing what you think is a freebag in a field under canopy, but not landing by it cuz its too long of a walk. So I jumped in the car and drove over to where it was. as I walk up on it, I find its really two white plastic fertilzer bags. just as I realize what it is, I trip over a spring loaded pop top from last year. It was faded, covered in mud and useless, but at least I can say I found something.

There was that time when I grabbed my friends free bag in the air after she had a reserve ride. It was pretty cool. Although, you should make sure that you catch it in your hands and not your canopy lines! I still made a standup, even with the extra drag on my right side.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

A very ballsy friend of mine caught another friends heatwave 100 after a reserve ride last sat, with his foot.
That was a slick grab!
I also watched a freebag of mine land smack dab in the middle of a pond back in 96, went back to the dz and got a ride to where it was, the peple were not home so I took it upun myself to hop in their rowboat and row my ass out to where the bag was afloat, spring at the bottom, there was a little damn mouse in the freakin boat with me, some how the freebag was covered in ants! Guess they were out for a swim that day.
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

I also watched a freebag of mine land smack dab in the middle of a pond back in 96, some how the freebag was covered in ants!
ha ha ha ha sorry but i would of loved to have seen your face ants in a pond hey mayby it was those flying ants :-)
"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."
Pablo Picasso.

chasing a freebag may be a nice retrieval, however lets not forget that we have to land first. Last year, my brother had his first cutaway. Another skydiver caught the freebag in mid-air. however when he was about 30 feet from the ground he decided to drop it to the ground, which in the process he accidentaly let go of his brake toggle. he was unable to get a hold of it again, and crashed hard. he ended up with to compound breaks(through the skin) on each of his ankles. It was nice that he tried to get the bag so it would not be lost, but remember, safety first.
jaybird

I tried chasing a main one time, 'tried' being the operative word. I kept trying to figure out where it was going to land, but because of the forward speed of my canopy it looked like it was blowing all over the place. At about 1000' I gave up and set down in a back yard near where I thought it would land, which wasn't too bad until I noticed the trees in the yard at about 50'. Fortunately I was able to steer clear and land safely. The canopy landed in the field next to the back yard. I decided not to hop over the barbed wire fence to get it, mainly because I had a demo canopy and didn't feel like paying $$$ to get it patched. By the time I got over to it, the DZ manager was already there gathering it up. Unfortunately, we never did find find his freebag. :(
We also had a cutaway this past weekend from one of our CRW guys, and one of the other guys swooped the main. He caught it on his legs, flew his canopy in, and then on final kicked it off and landed fine. It looked really cool, but I have to think it was a very risky maneuver, and definitely not something I'd recommend. He could have easily fouled his own main and had to cutaway himself.

do those freebags come off everytime that you have a reserve pull?

Mine had better f@cking come off!!! :)

just wondering. seems like since they are so expensive, there would be something you could do or make to keep them attached SOMEHOW

Umm... no, having them come off (thus FREEbag as opposed to D-bag) reduces the number of possible malfunctions.
Blues, squares,
PTiger

Umm... no, having them come off (thus FREEbag as opposed to D-bag) reduces the number of possible malfunctions.

Right-O. If you look at a freebag, you'll notice it has a really long (10-15') bridle, and it's about 2" wide. The theory is that if the reserve pilot chute gets caught around your leg or other body part, there will be enough drag on the bridle to pull the reserve out of the bag, and, since it's not attached to the parachute, you don't get a horseshoe. So the danger of losing the freebag is far outweighed by the decreased possibility of a horshoe malfunction on the reserve.

chasing a freebag may be a nice retrieval, however lets not forget that we have to land first. Last year, my brother had his first cutaway. Another skydiver caught the freebag in mid-air. however when he was about 30 feet from the ground he decided to drop it to the ground, which in the process he accidentaly let go of his brake toggle. he was unable to get a hold of it again, and crashed hard. he ended up with to compound breaks(through the skin) on each of his ankles. It was nice that he tried to get the bag so it would not be lost, but remember, safety first.

I remember that well at the boogie last year... Good to see you here Jason...
Roy

Last year one of our local jumpers tried to catch a wandering skytube while he was under canopy. The next thing we knew he was hanging under his reserve! Then we spent a couple of hours searching an apartment complex for a skytube, a couple of mains, a couple of freebags and assorted handles.
Far better to keep an eye on loose bits and land in the field closest to your wandering bits. Far better to walk a bit than be carried a long way.