skez

risers without toggle keeper

I got some risers a while back large type not mini..and they have no toggle keeper? Dont no wat to call it but the part the top of the toggle goes threw last...it only has velcro and the guide ring thats it. does anyone know how the fuck there meant to work lol? Makes no sence
FTMC

Not certain we're thinking of the same thing here. But if we are:

At one time (~1980s), all risers were that way, without a keeper for the top of the toggle. Cat eye in the brake goes below the guide ring, pin it with the toggle, stick toggle to velcro.

That's all that was ever needed because the velcro held the toggle in place, and sliders didn't slide down over the wide risers which were the only ones around. Dacron brake line was also too stiff for it to wiggle around easily and slide off the tip of the toggle, if the line was loose without tension. (On some reserve risers, unlike on mains, one would put a tack of seal thread through the riser and a bit of the toggle tip, just to be extra sure the toggle didn't move out of place and release the brake line prematurely.)

Edit: Some main risers also had a loop that came up through the ring, one put the cat eye over that, and then pinned (pushed) the toggle through the loop. Like you see on BASE rigs, although there the brake line routing is a little different if the line isn't fed through the ring, when slider down to keep the brake lines releasable.

Putting the toggle tip through the loop added more friction to keep things in place, and reduced the opening forces on the toggle tip itself, by dividing the force between the toggle and that extra loop.

pchapman

Not certain we're thinking of the same thing here. But if we are:

At one time (~1980s), all risers were that way, without a keeper for the top of the toggle. Cat eye in the brake goes below the guide ring, pin it with the toggle, stick toggle to velcro.

That's all that was ever needed because the velcro held the toggle in place, and sliders didn't slide down over the wide risers which were the only ones around. Dacron brake line was also too stiff for it to wiggle around easily and slide off the tip of the toggle, if the line was loose without tension. (On some reserve risers, unlike on mains, one would put a tack of seal thread through the riser and a bit of the toggle tip, just to be extra sure the toggle didn't move out of place and release the brake line prematurely.)

Yeh that's definitely it then and i noticed i have a container here with the reserve risers same thing
thanks
FTMC

That is simply an older design. Uses Velcro and no tip keeper. Mostly will work fine. Of more concern is the steel links with no slider bumpers. This will likely result in damage to the slider grommets causing rough edges that will in turn damage your lines. I would probably sew tip keepers on if it were mine, and definitely I would install bumpers, or soft links before the next jump.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Yeh cool and if used them for skydiving i would get one sewn on for sure..its setup now on a towup cutaway rig has no slider just gets ground towed up and cutaway thats why it has no bumpers etc.. it was a ground launching canopy had mini rings but when i decided to do cutaways etc i changed to the larger 3ring i got them for cheap and as soon as i got them was like wat the fuck is with these risers it was annoying me not knowing lol
FTMC

So, who remembers when we used to daisy chain all the spare brake line, and stick the toggle on the Velcro.

I don't think we ever had "brake fires" back then.

There would be a whole bunch of daisy chaining to pull out before anything would release.

I think that would be in the early to mid 80s, iirc.

Was it common? Or peculiar to where I was?

riggerpaul

So, who remembers when we used to daisy chain all the spare brake line, and stick the toggle on the Velcro.

Still got that on my Parafoil that was built in '98. I'm not current on the accuracy discipline, but traditionally it let one have a brake line with no bump from a brake eye, to give an absolutely smooth brake line when doing fine adjustments on approach. And considering that Foils didn't always open well, an might be jumped slow speed or terminal, one could fine tune (fiddle with!) the brake settings too. Daisy chain it wrong and it locks up or comes out out or wears the line quickly...

Hi Peter & Paul,

daisy chain all the spare brake line

a brake line with no bump from a brake eye, to give an absolutely smooth brake line when doing fine adjustments on approach

It also prevented the canopy from surging when the brakes were released. To undo the daisy chain, you had to pull the brakes waaayyyy dooowwwnnn, then they would disconnect.

BTDT,

Jerry Baumchen