HALOjmpr

Gear value

I have a rig and jumpsuit that I need to sell and am trying to get an estimated value on it.
It is a black Vector container with a PD 193 Lightning canopy with about 500 jumps and a PD 143 reserve (never deployed)

The main canopy is rainbow color and the reserve is a rust color.

The jumpsuit is a TonySuit for a 5'10" 140# person. Black with neon green grips and blue piping.

Also have an Altimaster altimeter.

It's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Look on here and search the FB pages to see what stuff like it is going for. The lightning comes in a few configurations so find out what you have. Also DOM's and photos help a lot. Is the PDr 143 a 1990 with a ton of pack jobs and never deployed or a 2013 and never deployed, makes a difference.

It is a fairly old system. I was jumping mainly in the late 90's. It has been stored in dry environment inside my closet. Just don't think I will use it anymore so I need to get rid of it.

Vector V-5 Container DOM: 12/87

PDr 143 DOM: 03/92 - 11 repacks, last repack 01/02

PD Lightning 193 DOM: 04/93

Container & canopies need to be inspected by a rigger to determine if they are airworthy after 20+ years old and 10+ years in storage. It is possible that this gear is past its usable life and a rigger will decline to do this inspection. The general rule for determining $ value is to deduct $1 per jump and $100 per year, so consider that before you pay for an inspection.

Jumpsuit & altimeter I would post ads with pics and ask for offers.

sammielu

The general rule for determining $ value is to deduct $1 per jump and $100 per year, so consider that before you pay for an inspection.

OMFG, again ???

According to your "general rule", he will be PAYING YOU to take his gear.

sammielu

Container & canopies need to be inspected by a rigger to determine if they are airworthy after 20+ years old and 10+ years in storage. It is possible that this gear is past its usable life and a rigger will decline to do this inspection. The general rule for determining $ value is to deduct $1 per jump and $100 per year, so consider that before you pay for an inspection.

Nylon doesn't have a usable life. Age means nothing unless the manufacturer specifies it cannot be packed or used past x number of years. Plenty of riggers will inspect it or pack it.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

sammielu

Is there a different general rule? Do you have some constructive advice to add here?

I'm not saying I agree with the general rule, but it is out there.

That general rule is out there, but it's only useful to a point. Like someone else has said, it doesn't work when applied to older gear. There is also a common, and untrue "rule" that there is some magic meaning to a canopy being 20 years old. ALL reserve canopies need to be inspected and re-certified if they are being used, as well as all containers, no matter their age.

To the OP, there is a good market for all pd reserves, price does vary with age and number of packs. Yours is probably worth between 500 and 600. Your Vector 2 is not in high demand at all. The price would depend on condition, but containers made back then lack AAD pockets and need considerable updates just for most people to use them. You probably won't get more than 200 to a max 300 for it. Most of the value is in the parts. I have no idea what the Lightning might be worth. You could ask in the CRW forum.

Good luck
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

sammielu

Is there a different general rule? Do you have some constructive advice to add here?

I'm not saying I agree with the general rule, but it is out there.

What's out there is a general MISCONCEPTION, not a rule. And that misconception is very much due to the fact that someone at some point made up some kind of linear depreciation equation, and the sheeple followed.

Now, as far as being constructive :
a) Good deal is a state of mind. First and very much foremost, if you need money today, you will need to sell for less. If you want that hard to find Crossfire2 today, you will end up having to pay more. Hell, there's a dude in the classifieds trying to sell a Petra for $6000 USD.

b) Age - this is a very highly debated topic, that some people (again) make a mistake of thinking linearly about it. A 2003 Dolphin is not more modern or better than a 2000 Javelin. The Dolphin is newer in terms of date of manufacture, but that's where it's "newness" stops. Unless someone is over 60, it's much more likely they will pick a mid 90's Javelin than a late 90's Racer. So the proper criteria should be about being modern, rather than having been manufactured more recently. \

The other part to age, is exactly what Ken had pointed above - nylon has an extremely long shelf life. Stored and cared for properly it doesn't loose any significant strength. So again, a 2001 MicroRaven150-M with 30 repacks and 5 rides is definitely newer than a 1996 PD 143 reserve with 10 repacks and no rides, but the most people will have higher confidence in the PDR.

c) Lastly, the whole linear thing - just like cars, anything mass produced will depreciate at a lot faster rate when new, and the price will change very little as the item gets older. A 1983 X210 canopy will be worth $100 from now until the end of time.

I got many more thoughts on this subject, but I think this is a good start.

Hi sammie,

It is possible that this gear is past its usable life

Maybe yes/maybe no.

If old gear is too old to be jumped, then there would be no skydiving industry as we know it today.

When I started in early '64, every jumper ( and let me repeat that: every jumper ) on the dz where I started jumped a military surplus harness/container, a military surplus main & a military surplus reserve; no exceptions.

The newest gear on the dz was 15 yrs old and counting.

Jerry Baumchen

I get that, and I appreciate where this sport started and the stories that scare me to think of doing now. I'm lucky to share the sky with badasses like that.

In my limited experience, there are more examples of old gear in bad shape than good. It seemed like the right thing to bring up.

Not an expert, but I did a bit of searching recently for PD Lightnings. They hold their value quite well and are hard to find used. As long as the fabric is in good condition you can get anywhere from $400-$800 for the comp trim model (full ZP), if it's F111/hybrid price may vary. Also, if the canopy comes with tail pocket, risers and PC, close to $1000.

sammielu

I get that, and I appreciate where this sport started and the stories that scare me to think of doing now. I'm lucky to share the sky with badasses like that.

In my limited experience, there are more examples of old gear in bad shape than good. It seemed like the right thing to bring up.

A lot of people quote the shelp life of 20 years but very few manufacturers have that rule for sport gear. It's easy to follow the lead of the countless posts that claim such a limit. I have a vector, raven 1, and a rigger built main all from 1986 that up until a few months ago I was jumping fairly regularly. It was in better shape than a lot of newer rigs at the dz. The only reason it isn't in my rig rotation now is because I bought a brand new rig and have enough rigs I'd rather leave it at home for now.

Condition is all about care and maintenance...not age. Of course an old rig with 1500 jumps on it is a different story.....
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

To the o.p. I see you have this rig listed in the classifieds I don't think what you're asking is out of line but I have serious trepidations about you marketed it as a beginner rig the flare on a lightning is tricky at best for an experienced jumper and a 143 reserved for beginner unless they're like 97 pounds I dont think thats really a beginner setup
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .